Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

mixing Campy Ultra-Torque cranks w/other components

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

mixing Campy Ultra-Torque cranks w/other components

Postby Fourthbook » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:55 pm

I'd like to change the Dura Ace crank on my Wilier to shave some weight while changing the look to carbon fiber arms w/dark chainrings. Unfortunately the Wilier's 37mm BB necessitates a narrow spindle such as those on DA and Campy cranks, so I can't fit THM, Storck, or Lightening cranks due to their 30mm spindles or even Extralite cranks (27mm spindle) as the bearings would be too small and are not made in that size.

Two questions for your expert advice:

Will a Campy SR 11 Ti Ultra Torque Carbon crank work well w/ my DA-based drive train: 7900 derailleurs/shifters, KCNC Ti (Shimano) cassette and KMC X10SL chain?

And, are there other crank options I've not found that have the narrow spindles and carbon fiber arms, etc.?

Thanks!
Fourthbook
Cat 4

Re: mixing Campy Ultra-Torque cranks w/other components

Postby Ypsylon » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:28 pm

Fulcrum comes to mind.

Also the carbon Shimano DA one pops up relatively cheap every now and then nowadays.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby rlpaul » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:36 pm

The major concern with using an 11 speed crankset with 10 speed is the .6mm narrower spacing on the 11 speed chainrings. Meaning there's less space between the inner and outer chainring. This could be an issue with the wider 10 speed chain.

The possible solution would be to run an 11 speed chain (works fine on 10 speed drivetrains) a la KMC X11SL. Don'tknow how well it would work.

Otherwise, if you want a Campy crank, try to find the older 10 speed Super Record crank, or a Record crank in 10 speed variety. After that, you're stuck with either FSA or SRAM.

There's also the hard to find DA 7800 carbon crank, but that's not exactly weight weenie - I believe the forged 7800 crank is lighter, let alone the 7900.

I thought THM had BSA cups as an option? http://fairwheelbikes.com/thm-clavicula ... -2812.html
rlpaul
Cat 2

Postby rlpaul » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:38 pm

And Ypsylon beats me to the punch on the carbon DA crank... do you have ESP or something? :P
rlpaul
Cat 2

Postby Fourthbook » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:12 pm

Thanks for the guidance, guys. FSA and SRAM don't appeal to my aesthetic, while Fulcrum and Campy do. Is there any other difference between them other than $$$?
Fourthbook
Cat 4

Postby rlpaul » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:32 pm

The Fulcrums spin just as nicely as Campy, so other than not saying Campy on it, they're super nice. I've never checked Fulcrum weights though.
rlpaul
Cat 2

Postby Fourthbook » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:45 am

I thought THM had BSA cups as an option?

I've queried FWB and several others about the compatibility of THM's w/ the Wilier BB and the consensus is that it just won't work, much to my disappointment as I really love the looks of the Clavicula. If you know of a way to make it work, I'm all ears!!! I'll only switch cranks if the new carbon crank (Campy, Fulcrum, or whatever) works great, requires only changing my chain, and if it is >100 grams lighter; otherwise, I can't justify the considerable cost simply for aesthetic reasons (if I can rationalize it at all)...

As far as I know, only the Campy SR Ultra Torque with the Ti axle offers that much weight savings; but ohhh the cost...!!!
Fourthbook
Cat 4

Return to General cycling