Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Cervélo aero post tuning

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: Cervélo aero post tuning

Postby pritchet74 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:34 pm

But the question is how much support do you really need? It's all dependent on the saddle rails.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Ypsylon » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:45 pm

And can something support something, if there's nothing to support?

I'm not an engineer, but I can't really imagine where a force pushing the part of the saddle rails that's between the yokes down would come from.

Then again, I can't use a caliper either, so what do I know.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby Soloist Assassin » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:13 am

For what it's worth. I have a KCNC post on one of my other bikes, and I've had it for 4 years now, with a Ti railed saddle with no ill effects. I am quite confident it would be fine with a carbon railed saddle as well. Not really an issue honestly. I think over torquing the fasteners would be more of a problem then all 150lbs of me sitting on it. I used a carbon cradle developed similar to the KCNC cradle, and it had no ill effects on my carbon railed saddle. The carbon cradle failed eventually, but it had no effect on the carbon railed saddle.
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby rlpaul » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:39 am

I've seen carbon rails crack, and that was already on a Thomson. That being said, I'm not a big fan of the KCNC setup for carbon rails either.

In all fairness, unless you increase the length of rail being supported, it probably doesn't matter much.
rlpaul
Cat 2

Postby Stockie » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:06 pm

Is someone still riding his carbon cradle?
Stockie
Stockie
Cat 5

Postby Ypsylon » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:08 am

A friend and very enthusiastic weenie "stole" mine and that's still going strong. I lost track of how many bikes are in his collection, so I don't know how many miles it's seen so far.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Previous

Return to General cycling