Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

CAAD10 Project

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: CAAD10 Project

Postby Fourthbook » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:42 am

Braking, my new 3.4s feel smooth as silk w/DA calipers and the Enve pads. No pulsing at all. But I didn't have any pulsing w/ my prior Reynolds MV32ULs or Fulcrum Racing Lights either...
Fourthbook
Cat 4

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:34 pm

rlpaul is right, the pulsing is mostly down to the rim although brake set up can exaggerate things. This is one of the problems you can have when repairing a wheel if the brake track is damaged, it's very difficult to get the smoothness of the rim back to how it was. Of course as has also been said, alloy rims are machined which can't be done with carbon, at least in the same manner. Pritch also has a point. Although you'd imagine that high spoke tensions would just distort the rim 'fairing', we've seen wheels from major manufacturers where the spoke tension was so high that the brake track area was distorted as well!!
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby rlpaul » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:11 pm

Quick update:

Some things that have changed:

NOS Edge Tapered 2.0 fork
Lots of bolt tuning
Fibre-Lyte 36t chainring, and pulley wheels on derailleur
Smud seatpost clamp and seat (67g for the seat!)
Ritchey C260 stem, tuned with blue ti bolts

Some interesting tid-bits:
Changed the Enve ti seatpost bolt with a blue ti bolt from Probolt - 2 grams weight savings
Switched the seatpost clamp ti bolt to a blue ti bolt from Probolt - .5 grams savings

I didn't check every single bolt I changed, but its interesting to note that not even bolts from a "reputable" dealer are necessarily of the grade you'd expect. Probolt is supposed to only use 6/4 ti, would appear that a lot of other bolt manufacturers are using differing grades. I hate how slow Probolt is to ship, and their prices on some of their stuff, but I decided that whatever bolts I need that they carry, I'll be getting from them since I know what I'll be getting. Also, their ti anodizing is uniform - not an easy feat.

I'll weigh it once its cabled and taped, but should come in below 14 lbs now.

Some weights for you on the new stuff:

Frame - CAAD10 54cm - 1175g
Fork - Edge Tapered - 321g
Chaining, Small - Fibre-Lyte 36t - 24.9g
Shifters - SRAM Red Tuned (BTP Clamps) - 270.6g
Front Derailleur - SRAM Red Tuned - 67g
Rear Derailleur - SRAM Red Tuned - 132.1g
Seat - Smud Carbon (90kg weight tuned) - 66.6g
Seatpost Clamp - Smud Carbon (14mm height) - 6.4g
Stem - Ritchey C260 Tuned 100mm - 101g
Cages - Karbona Wing (x2) - 33.6g

I have some Powercordz Prime coming, which should put the build well under 6300g. I can't stand ilinks, have tried them three different times, so this is the next best thing for lightweight housing I'm hoping. My goal is sub 6k with the Enve shoes, but not sure I can manage it without some exotic stuff on there (ie, Schmolke). I'm running out of places where I can reasonably drop weight... any suggestions? :)
rlpaul
Cat 2

Postby Ypsylon » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:19 pm

EE brakes.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby rlpaul » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:26 pm

That one is on my list :) Should be close to an 85 gram savings.
rlpaul
Cat 2

Postby Ypsylon » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:33 pm

Sweet.

You did an outstanding job so far.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby pritchet74 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:48 pm

Agreed. Absolutely outstanding.

I used Powercordz for my brake cables when I had my AX Orion brakes on Victoria and they worked perfectly. When I pulled those brakes off the bike to put on the Hookers though I was able to inspect the cables (since I couldn't use them with the Hookers they had to get trashed) and there were a couple of places where the cable casing had been broken and a few strands of the fibers had been broken too. This obviously only occured at sharp edges and at 2 places - one was where the silver starter piece of Nokon housing meets the sleeve at the beads, but that was my fault because I didn't put it together correctly. The other was somewhere inside the Red shift lever I believe. So do what you can to make sure that there are no sharp edges inside your lever where the cable is going thru. Also, I would remove and inspect the cables at least once a year.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Praxis Works » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:39 pm

Hi 'rpaul'
Just wanted to chime in as I saw our Praxis forged ring on your build and it looks great. That is a really great looking bike!

Drop me a call at Praxis as I wanted to pick your brain on something... Office is 831-708-2161
Thanks!
-Praxis
Praxis Works
Manufacturer

Postby rlpaul » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:00 pm

Thanks guys... been riding the singlespeed while I finish rebuilding. I had a creak somewhere, and that's what prompted me to rebuild in the first place. Gotta love regreasing everything, sigh.

So, I happened to have a frame lying around unused, so built this up to ride this winter:

Only really interesting thing on this bike is the White Industries ENO Eccentric rear hub. Which caused me to find a standard/long reach brake. Nobody makes a really nice brake in anything other than short reach now :(
I'm selling this frame once I refinish my CAAD9 frame I have lying around also (for the record, I had 3 frames unused), hence the orange spoke nipples. The new finish on the 9 will orange on it somewhere.

Cables are on backorder, so may just throw some jagwires on the 10 for the time being so I can ride this weekend.
rlpaul
Cat 2

Previous

Return to General cycling