Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

CAAD10 Project

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

CAAD10 Project

Postby rlpaul » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:15 am

Another new bike for me, this time a CAAD 10, since a polished model is back :applause:

Have been going a different route this year with all my stuff (aero vs weight for example) so a little heavier than previous bikes, but have some plans in the works to alleviate that a bit :)

Build list so far is as follows:

Cannondale CAAD10 54cm
Cannondale fork - 390(!)g
Enve seat post - 140g
Tange/Record headset - 75g
Top cap, bolt and Extralite Ultrastar 2 - 13g
New Ultimate 100mm stem - 107g
3T ErgoNova LTD 44cm - 192g
Enve Smart 6.7
Shimano Dura-Ace 11-25 Cassette - 178g
Vittoria Corsa Evo CX
Cannondale Hollowgram SiSL, Praxis chainrings, bearings - 590g
Sram Red Levers - 294g
Sram Red RD - 157g
Sram Red FD - 67g
Selle Italia C64 - 89g
Shimano Dura-Ace - 290g
Shimano Dura-Ace 7900 - 248g
Shimano 105 chain 235g
Carbon Cages - 56g
Cage bolts - 4g for 4
Tune DC14 skewers - 34g

A few things are showing up this week (seatpost clamp, new seat, etc) that should reduce it a bit more, but also waiting on a new drivetrain to come in stock as well... :o As pictured, right around 14.5 LBs. Climbing wheels drop more than a pound off that number though :)
rlpaul
Cat 2

Re: CAAD10 Project

Postby rlpaul » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:39 pm

Small preview on some changes I'm working on....

:)
rlpaul
Cat 2

Postby santabarbara » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:12 am

That machine just gave me priapism.

:applause:
santabarbara
Cyclotourist

Postby Ypsylon » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:34 am

I've got to remember to use duckduckgo if I want to look up words used on this site.

I saw this but got distracted by the TT bike thread, but it looks like you've got this one under control yourself. Nicely done.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby pritchet74 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:41 pm

Wow. One of the nicest Dales I have ever seen. How do you like the wheels?
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby flameboy » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:58 pm

+1. It looks so PRO!!!
flameboy
Cat 3

Postby rlpaul » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:49 pm

I'm actually in the midst of rebuilding today - few new parts have arrived :) I shall update later.

The 6.7s are a sweet set of wheels. I was using a set of 404s I built last year, and the 6.7s are just nicer. I haven't tried the Firecrests, so can't compare to those.

They are a bit 'sluggish' on climbs compared to the 404s, but everywhere else, they're just fast. Acceleration at 20 MPH is quicker than any other wheels I've ridden. We've had some super windy days here since I got em, and aside from a direct 90 degree crosswind, they handle pretty well. And even then its not that hard to correct... the rider is more of a billboard at that point than the wheels anyways ;)

My only negative about these wheels is while the front breaks smoothly, the rear pulsates. More an annoyance than anything. This is with Swisstop Yellows. I have not tried the supplied Enve pads.
rlpaul
Cat 2

Postby Ypsylon » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:01 pm

Mine brake very well with the greay pads and EE brakes. The front one makes a bit of noise, but both offer plenty of power and modulation, not that I have needed to really put them to the test.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby pritchet74 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:04 pm

That's one of the problems that I have always had with carbon rims. I have never had a set where one wheel didn't pulsate under braking. No more carbon braking surfaces for me!
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby rlpaul » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:48 pm

The front doesn't pulsate, so I may try the Enve pads, see how they fair.

EE brakes are on my list for this build... I need a set of calipers for the TT bike anyways, so some EEs here, and moving the Dura-Ace to the TT bike solves that problem ;)
rlpaul
Cat 2

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:35 pm

Beautiful bike! 8)

I'd say that the pulsing is more likely to do with the rim/set up of the brakes and less likely to do with the pads, but what do I know? :roll:
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby Ypsylon » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:57 pm

In theory I'd say the same.

But of my old Edge 1.38s the front one pulsed pretty bad. Really tight hair pins and coming to a full stop were a bit of a challenge. With EE brakes that got quite a bit better in a way that you'd feel it in your fingers, but you didn't have to take in into account. With the new gray pads it's still there, but better still. Of course, when putting in the gray pads I changed the setup of the brake, so maybe I just got lucky.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby pritchet74 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:06 pm

Does it have to do with the spoke tension being high and slightly distorting the rim width at the spoke nipples? Just a thought.
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby rlpaul » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:40 pm

I doubt it, probably has more to do with rim width, or finish on the brake track. A slightly thicker section would cause the pulse, as would a rougher, or smoother spot on the rim. The reason why you don't see it on any alloy rims is cause the brake track is typically machined, so same width all the way around, and same finish. Or the width is so gradual, that its hard to feel it.

On some alloy rims though, you can feel the joint when you brake.

Just as an aside, there's no pulsing at all on my climbing tubs, which are also carbon.
rlpaul
Cat 2

Postby Ypsylon » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:03 pm

Yeah, I once had a short conversation with Adrien and what it boiled down to was that it's in the rim. He really knows his wheel stuff, so I believe that's true.

Mine don't pulse at all, too. The set of clincher 1.38s I had for testing purposes didn't pulse either.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Next

Return to General cycling