Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Leaves on the trees, 5 inches of snow...

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Leaves on the trees, 5 inches of snow...

Postby mdeth1313 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:23 pm

You can hear cracking and breaking of tree limbs outside- now all I can hear is the hum of my generator after the power went out. October 29. Damn. Good thing I decided get the woodstove up and running when we got home earlier too. Woodstove heats the house, the kids's bedrooms are on the generator so those will be heated. Just wondering how long the generator will be running.

My wife is sitting in traffic- at least she took my suv. I've had to tell her several times not to get off the main roads/highway, she'll end up stuck with downed trees.

It's going to be another interesting weekend. Good thing I convinced the wife we needed this generator after the hurricane in august.
Words are like bullets, I let them pass through me.
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Re: Leaves on the trees, 5 inches of snow...

Postby rlpaul » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:02 pm

Buddy of mine in Virginia said it was coming down pretty hard there too... we were supposedly getting some snow as well, but it bypassed us (thankfully... the south is terrible at dealing with snow).

Hope everything clears up soon for you.
rlpaul
Cat 2

Postby mdeth1313 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:43 pm

ah, it's a beautiful day- temps in the 40's and sunny. all the trees around my house (read- that could have fallen on my property and done damage) did quite well. The rest of the area looks bad. I don't know when we're getting power back, I just refilled the generator and I'm going to go out and see if I can find more gas!

We ended up having our neighbors stay over last night- they have a 1 year old and with no heat and no power, they couldnt stay at home, but they couldn't get anywhere else either.
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Postby Boonen » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:29 pm

Good luck, sounds like a rough ride this early in the season!
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby j0m » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:56 pm

Sounds interesting. We had frost a few days last week, there was a gale a couple of weeks back and IIRC I think the power went out for a couple minutes earlier this year. :D I hope it stays that way or we might need to move into the car eating cold spaghetti in the dark.
j0m
The Big Brain

Postby mdeth1313 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:20 pm

...and we got our power back. It only ended up being a little less than 2 days. I'm shocked- I thought we were going to be on generator power for the next 2 days at least. Now I have half a tank of gas in the generator and 15 gallons of gas in the garage. I think 2 of those cans are ending up in the cars, no need to keep that much fuel sitting around (until the next storm).
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:32 pm

I rode last Friday in shorts and a jersey and will do the same today.

I am looking forward to arm-warmer riding weather.

:banana:
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Ypsylon » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:12 pm

:whogives:

I got soaked yesterday, my bike looks like a mess and the clothes of one ride fill up a washing machine alone, but I feel proud I made it out and rode.

Mdeth, snow while there are still leaves on the trees always sucks and causes mayhem, glad you were well prepared and could take care of your neighbors as well.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby rlpaul » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:55 am

Unfortunately, its traveling, not the weather that's currently keeping me off my bike. My only chance to ride this week is tomorrow, then back on a plane!

I'm guessing you're upstate somewhere... I lived in Albany for a while, but never had it that bad really. The worse noreaster that I went through, we didn't lose power, although it was 4 feet of snow. But it was also in December, when its expected :P

Glad to hear everything's working out well now.
rlpaul
Cat 2

Postby mdeth1313 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:36 am

Pritchet-- I love you bit-h, but straight up (yo)- f- you! :angel:

It's all good- halloween went on- many of our friends still have no electricity, so we have a friend of my daughter's sleeping over. We had 6 adults and 5 kids over for dinner after a brief trip around the neighborhood for trick o' treats. CHICKEN/BACON/RA NCH pizza- just another contribution to American obesity, unless you exercise regularly. Oh wow, there's nothing better- well that and 2 bottles of red wine, and 5 beers (4 of them hofbrau dunkels). Don't worry, the kids didn't consume any alcohol. 8:34PM- 2 days of making sure the generator was running- filling gas cans, waking up to make sure the woodstove was still going overnight, etc- and now alcohol consumption- I've had it! I'm going to bed!

Did reward myself by scoring a set of sub 1300g clinchers-- 20/24 alchemy elf/orc hubs, kinlin 200 rims and cx-ray spokes (for far less than the cost of hubs alone).

To quote a bugs bunny episode:

Nighty nighty rabbit! Nighty, night!
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Postby mdeth1313 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:36 pm

I forgot to mention- the 1 truly great thing that came out of this storm was listening to my wife tell her friend that - get ready for it------ I WAS RIGHT! WE SHOULD SPEND THE MONEY ON A GENERATOR!

I'm marking that one on the calendar!
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Return to General cycling