Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

ISP seat mast toppers & Woodman components

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

ISP seat mast toppers & Woodman components

Postby Fourthbook » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:27 pm

I'd like to upgrade the 116 gram Ritchey WCS 1-bolt seat mast topper that came standard on my bike's ISP but find very few options, especially with a ~25mm setback. Perhaps you know of some I don't: Ritchey makes a carbon version (Superlogic) that's $250 yet only cuts 17 grams; the KCNC Majestic is 100 grams for $115 but looks clunky IMO; Tune makes a 74 gram 'cappy' for $155 that looks cool but only has a 2mm setback; and New Ultimate makes a carbon ISP that weighs 81 grams, looks cool but costs $210 and doesn't fit 34.9 ISPs.

I found what looks like what I want: 85 grams, 25mm setback, looks cool and costs $120, made by Woodman (Woodmancomponents.com), but don't know anything about the company/components and find virtually nothing about its products online. Seems strange.

Do you have any experience with Woodman stuff or know of other toppers?
Fourthbook
Cat 4

Re: ISP seat mast toppers & Woodman components

Postby Ypsylon » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:37 am

The MCFK one is very, very sweet, albeit more expensive. It fits 34.9mm, has 20mm setback, weighs 75g in the standard version, is available in 3k or UD and costs US$250.

http://www.mcfk.de/Produkte/ISPVersatz.php
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby Fourthbook » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:17 pm

Thanks for the referral. Do you have any experience w/Woodman components?
Fourthbook
Cat 4

Postby Fourthbook » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:42 pm

I found a thread on Weight Weenies that provides further discussion of seat mast toppers: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=61257

Also, Guru is apparently now using the Woodman IT as its stock topper, zoom in on it at: http://www.gurubikes.com/enUS/products/photon/
Fourthbook
Cat 4

Postby rlpaul » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:06 pm

While I haven't used their stubby, I have used other Woodman components, and they seem to be of good quality.

It certainly is a nice looking, especially compared to the Ritcheys :)
rlpaul
Cat 2

Postby Fourthbook » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:34 am

Report on the Woodman ISP Topper: A reasonably-priced, low weight alternative for a topper w/set-back...

I switched out the Ritchey Stubby that came stock w/ my Wilier frame for the Woodman after looking a lot for a lighter weight and better looking (IMO) alternative. The Woodman is 88 grams versus 136 grams for the Stubby (on my scale). Couldn't find any reliable reviews on the Woodman and very little on the company, so I was a bit worried about the quality and seemingly thin width of the cradle's contact/mounting points. So far, so good. Quality looks good on close inspection, albeit CNC machined from 6061-T6 aluminum, which I believe is less strong than 7000-series used by Tune and others for their cappys. I did have to file the grooves on the cradle to fit the Selle Italia's rails, which I thin wrapped w/black electrical tape to provide a better clamping surface and reduce any imperfections in the surface. Works fine.

Also, although the Woodman sits down only 35mm onto the seat mast, versus 50 mm for the Ritchey Stubby, the seat rails on both toppers are at the same height when both are inserted to their maximum, so I did not need to make any adjustments in the seat height when switching from one to the other.

Fourthbook
Cat 4

Return to General cycling