Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Tune GumGum vs. Extralite Ultrastar2

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Tune GumGum vs. Extralite Ultrastar2

Postby prendrefeu » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:41 pm

Hello -

Yes, there is a slight weight difference, that I know. What I'm wondering is about life span.
Both the GumGum and Ultrastar2 rely on a a rubber bit in some manner (in the gum gum, the rubber bit is compressed, which expands its outer diameter, which pushes against the steerer tube, and in the ultrastar the rubber ring holds the bits of aluminum together at one end so they can angle into the steerer tube).

How long would these things last before they corrode away and have to be replaced? Which one is expected to have a longer lifespan relative to the other?

I've got 4 Ultrastars that, so far, I can't use. This past weekend I had to build up a new bike... and none of the forks I had on hand had an Inner Diameter large enough for the Ultrastar. Not even an Easton EC90 SLX. Nothing.
But the GumGum? Fit in there perfectly.

So I'm frustrated at this... and in trying to figure out what direction I should take for the future, I want to know: which one will last longer and be better off for me in the long-run (both of compatibility and usability)

Thanks.
prendrefeu
Cat 5

Re: Tune GumGum vs. Extralite Ultrastar2

Postby j0m » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:16 pm

One reason I don't post that much about bike stuff is that I don't trust my memory that much. Sometimes I realize later that I was completely wrong. :oops: So take whatever I say with a grain of salt.

Anyhow, I haven't used the GumGum but have used the Ultrastar for several years without any problems.
j0m
The Big Brain

Postby rlpaul » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:02 pm

I've used both for a couple seasons without issue. The Ultrastar2 has been ridden in wet conditions, the GumGum I ended up giving away as I didn't like it as much from a setup perspective. Its still in use however in its new home.

I just popped in the Ultrastar into a new bike a couple months ago and it felt just like it did when I bought it new. I'm surprised it didn't fit for you. I've installed it in several different forks, all with varying degrees of steerer thickness.
rlpaul
Cat 2

Postby mdeth1313 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:55 am

love the ultrastar, I've used it now on 3 different bikes- only issue I had was my own, when I stripped the bolt for tightening, loosening the ultrastar- fortunately, I've got tools- lots and lots of tools- extracted the bolt- killed it, but was able to score a new ultrastar for $25. Other than my own stupidity, the thing has been flawless. Why other manufacturers can't learn from this piece I'll never know/understand.
Words are like bullets, I let them pass through me.
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Postby Juanmoretime » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:06 am

I'm a big fan of the Ultrastar 2 too. I used it on my Planet X tt bike and plan to use it on my Scott but haven't tried to see if it fits. It does fit in the Reynolds fork on my cross bike.
For my next trick I will set myself on fire!
Juanmoretime
Cat 1

Postby prendrefeu » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:32 pm

Thanks guys.

So I'm looking at two options then:
-sell off these forks and eventually find ones where the UltraStar2's will fit down the steerer tubes
-dremel out the interior of the steerer tubes a little bit.

Thoughts?
prendrefeu
Cat 5

Postby Boonen » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:40 pm

I'd sand down the ultrastar or find something that fits before I'd sand the steerer tubes.
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby prendrefeu » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:49 am

Thanks all, I'm weight my options now. It's too bad many fork mfgs don't list their steerer internal diameters.
prendrefeu
Cat 5

Postby Tommasini » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:42 am

prendrefeu wrote: So I'm looking at two options then:
-sell off these forks and eventually find ones where the UltraStar2's will fit down the steerer tubes
-dremel out the interior of the steerer tubes a little bit.

Thoughts?

SHIT...Don't replace or modify the fork just because of the insert......SHIT

Modifying the insert might be a good choice.......gosh do we sometimes go after grams reduction with such a blind pashion that we lose sight of having a great safe ride??
Tommasini
Cat 4

Postby UpFromOne » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:51 am

+1 - Carbon steerers are problematic enough without creating stress risers. Remember when carbon breaks, it gives no indication beforehand. Ask anyone whose fork broke.
UpFromOne
Cat 4

Postby Cyco » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:02 pm

Ultra Star doesn't need the rubber bits, they are just there to make it easier to install, so degradation isn't an issue
If it fails just after the finish line it is over built. It should fail right on it to be the perfect weight
Cyco
Cat 3

Postby j0m » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:00 pm

UpFromOne wrote:+1 - Carbon steerers are problematic enough without creating stress risers. Remember when carbon breaks, it gives no indication beforehand. Ask anyone whose fork broke.

While I wouldn't recommend sanding the steerer down I didn't know carbon steerers were problematic in general. Please educate me.
j0m
The Big Brain

Postby UpFromOne » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:04 am

What peeves me is that manufacturers should publish the recommended fork ID range for these plugs.
Internal steerer diameters are all different, and all 1 1/8" plugs won't fit all 1 1/8" forks.

The GumGum has a wide fork ID range (but I can't tell what it is exactly), but I found that it doesn't hold as well because it rotates easily.
I just ordered an Ultrastar from FW as they came back into stock, for use with an Edge 1.0 fork (which has a thinner steerer wall than
the 2.0, and therefore a larger ID).
UpFromOne
Cat 4

Postby nickf » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:08 pm

Just installed a ultrastar2 and tune top cap in a cdale premium fork yesterday. Easy install. Super secure and did not slip when tighning top cap. Looked at the gum gum but heard to many mixed reviews on it. Both prices came in at 12g.
nickf
Cyclotourist

Return to General cycling