Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Berk PROTO-TYPE 3

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: Berk PROTO-TYPE 3

Postby Ypsylon » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:36 pm

No need to send a pair, front and rear are the same.

Obviously when we say "fairing" that's just short for structural brake booster.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby BMANX » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:20 pm

Exactly but might as well have both sent and both come back set up perfect.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

Cervelo SLC 5890g/12.98lbs
BMANX
Cat 1

Postby ... » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:36 pm

I have some bad news about myself - on the stage race I had a bad crash and was in the hospital. There was a big crash in the downhil section and they fall just before me and I couldn't save myself. My Garmin turned off when I crashed, and the last speed was 68.4km/h, of course I braked before the crash, but anyway, it wasn't nice :lol:. I fall over the barrer in the depth...somehow all my bones are in one piece, but I have some injurys on my backbone - the cartilage is a bit damaged, also some muscles and also my nerves near my backbone a bit. But I feel every day better and hopefully I'll soon go back on my bike, probably it will take me a week or two (till now it is already 5 days), but nothing to do there, I can only be happy that I'm still alive :grin:

Back to the frame.
Here just some new photos from the parts on scale. I almost have all the parts, but I still need Sram Red levers and rear derailleur...if anybody has those parts for sale please let me know :wink:

Here are my Lightweights III, with Continental Competition tubulars, skewers and Sram Red cassette:
1856g

KCNC CB1 brakes with Swissstop Flash Pro brake pads:
179g

FSA headset (pressfit)
74g

Ritchey WCS ALU bar (42cm) and stem (130mm)
371g

Tomorrow I'll glue the ALU coils in the frame (for bottle cage screws) and just some more details to do before painting/lacquering. The surface is already prepared and today I ordered the models for painting the graphics.

I won't paint the surface a lot, only with a few graphics and with semi-gloss lacquer (the look will bi similar as on my LW wheels - also the beauty layer is the same).
H a n d m a d e I n S l o v e n i a
Cat 1

Postby dalai » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:35 am

Heal fast mate! :shock:
dalai
Cat 1

Postby Ypsylon » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:38 am

Sounds like a specatacular crash, relieved to hear it didn't do any major damage.

Nice progress with the bike. Looks like you're working on your own crank? :wink:
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby ... » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:06 am

dalai wrote:Heal fast mate! :shock:

Thanks :cheers:, my girlfriend takes care of me so I'm in good hands :grin:

Ypsylon wrote:Sounds like a specatacular crash, relieved to hear it didn't do any major damage.

Nice progress with the bike. Looks like you're working on your own crank? :wink:

Probably it really was, I'm glad that it wasn't worse.

Unfortunately not yet :grin: I'll get a Sram Red crank.

At this moment I have too much time and I already planed some new projects, I'm addicted to this work :grin:. Somehow I prefer making frames, don't really know why...it would be nice to make an TT/aero frame, but I would have to make it monocoque and not "tube to tube" like I did till now..will see, anyway, first I have to finish and test this frame!
Cat 1

Postby ... » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:08 am

Just glued, here just two quick photos:

At this moment I have some Elite custom bottle cages and will most probably later make some own carbon bottle cages. But till then I'll use those. I'm very happy with those bottle cages - we use the same in my team.

Some more parts on scale:

Look Keo Carbon pedals
229g

Sram GXP pressfit
92g
Cat 1

Postby Soloist Assassin » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:54 pm

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing your bottle cages too. I just had a New Ultimate cage break on me Sunday. :(
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby ... » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:01 am

I'm sorry to hear that.

Probably I'll try to make them today!

Yesterday I already made some more work, but not on the frame.
I finally get some UD carbon also for beauty layer! I already have 3 types of UD but mostly only for the structure of my products.
And of course I just couldn't resist to make a new saddle and seatpost. Maybe I'll use it for a combo if anybody would like that I make him a combo with UD look.

Also a bit improved tube with some carbon/kevlar fibres, similar like AX does..

It is still rough and also the photos are quite crappy..as soon as I finish any UD part I'll post some more photos.

The saddle is wet, just to show how it should look

Now I'm waiting only for the models that I'll be able to paint the frame. The surface is prepared, just can't wait that I finish this frame!!

The next frame will sure be in UD :mrgreen:. In the last few nights I couldn't sleep (because my injuries) and I spend a few hours before my desk and made a few quick sketchs.. Next project will be a monocoque frame because it allows better designing, but I have to decide what will I make..if I make monocoque then it wouldn't be a problem to make more identical frames, probably also for a friend of mine etc.,..Something aero/TT and with taste :mrgreen: and with probability for internal Di2 :mrgreen: ..that would be nice, in one year I could probably get some Di2 parts...will see..I also want to make a wheelset, but unfortunately I can't afford it at this moment...also a monocoque frame project is very exacting piece of work and I'll have to think over what will I make...

Anyway, as soon as I make some more progress on the frame I'll keep you updated :wink:
Cat 1

Postby BMANX » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:06 pm

I love the idea of a monocoque frame and if you can make a few of them and keep one for yourself and sell a few, you could buy a Di2 or even a couple Ui2 groups to fit on your bikes. Maybe do a road and tt bike with Di2/Ui2. That is the nice part, of making your own items. If you can not afford to buy them you can sell enough seat post, saddle, post/saddle combos and frames to get the money to buy what you want. VERY COOL

On a seperate note, would it be possible to make an aero fairing for the EE brakes or the Tektro T726R brakes. I can sourse some Tektro T726R brakes but wanted to run it past you first.

BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

Cervelo SLC 5890g/12.98lbs
BMANX
Cat 1

Postby ... » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:52 am

@BmanX
:thumbUp:
Yes, probably it would be possible, but it is hard to say before I get any of those brakes in my hands.

And here just one more part for the build - Sram Red crankset, 172.5mm, 53/39:
639g

I get this crankset a bit used and there are a few scratches on the right crank (probably because the chain fall down...), the left one is just like new.
The frame will be lacquered with semi-gloss lacquer and probably I'll repaint also the crank. Maybe I'll put one identical graphics, only that I would paint them white and lacquer it semi-gloss. On the internal side I would just let it like it is,..will see, probably it would look better on the frame and much more unique.
Cat 1

Postby ... » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:11 pm

Hi!

Just some more photos from the frame. The surface is finished and prepared for the painting. But I still have to wait for the models that I'll be able to paint the graphics..

Tomorrow I'll go to the seaside with my girlfriend for a few days because I have to rest till Monday...the past 5 years I wasn't at the seaside because I didn't had any time for it :mrgreen: so there are also "positive" sites of the crash that I had..I already wanted to go on my bike but I'm not allowed to, so probably it is better that I'm not at home..:mrgreen:

Anyway, here just tome photos:

After I'll come home I'll get also the levers. I just need to found the Sram Red rear derailleur and I can build it, just can't wait! I'll keep you updated :wink:
Cat 1

Postby Boonen » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:58 pm

Looks great! Have fun this weekend :D
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby ... » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:43 pm

Thanks!
I'm already much better and back on my bike (already 5 trainings till today) :thumbUp:

Some new parts just arrived - Dura-Ace chain and Jagwire L3 Cables:

Today I also get the models for painting the graphics.

I already had some more time and I "customized" a bit my Sram Red crankset. The weight is almost the same (638g) but I really prefer the new look! I removed some graphics and lacquered it with semi-gloss lacquer (the same will be also on the frame). I also changed the Sram Red chainring with Stronglight CT2.

Most probably I'll do the same also with the rest of the Sram Red parts. I'm still waiting for the levers and rear derailleur, hope that I'll soon get it!
Cat 1

Postby ... » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:32 pm

3T Funda PRO fork with new graphics and with semi-gloss finish.

Soon I'll paint also the frame. It will have the same semi-gloss finish and some simple white graphics. I'll keep you updated :wink:
Cat 1

PreviousNext

Return to General cycling