Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Drill Baby Drill!

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Drill Baby Drill!

Postby mdeth1313 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:33 am

So I was cleaning up my garage this afternoon and the biggest mess was my dumping gound for cycling stuff I'm not using or haven't used for quite awhile. I found a set of extralite octaramp chainrings (now on ebay) and another 50t extralite ring. There was also an old salsa 34t ring, both being 110bcd. This got me to thinking - my computrainer bike has an old shimano rsx (or is it rxs) crankset w/ 46/36/26 rings, which doesn't help my winter training when my regular bike has 50/34. Fortunately I still have a crank puller, popped the drive side off and attempted to take off the rings. The 26 came off no problem. The bolts for the other 2 rings would not budge- all steel and the stupid nuts are not hex nor torx, so they were just not moving. DRILL! I have a set of drill bits from my (late) uncle- the made in the USA type from the 60's-70's. Nothing stops them.

The cordless drills were not cutting it, so I went for the electric drill. Noise, smoke, hot metal shards and 10 minutes later I had those rings off! Ah, sometimes destroying things is just plain fun!

So, my circa 1990 steel touring frame is now set up w/ an rsx crankset w/ a 50t extralite ring on it. It's now 50/34. Shifting w/ downtube shifters (friction on the FD) is quite nice, compared to normal shifting w/ extralite rings!
Words are like bullets, I let them pass through me.
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Re: Drill Baby Drill!

Postby Boonen » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:08 pm

Somehow I thought this was going to be about dentistry ...

Drilling out steel bolts ... NICE :wink:
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby mdeth1313 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:38 pm

Boonen wrote:Somehow I thought this was going to be about dentistry ...

Drilling out steel bolts ... NICE :wink:

Nope, for the partial genetic disaster that I am (thanks to my familial gene pool on both sides)-
high blood pressure, high cholesterol, -6.0 corrective lenses for vision, I have perfect freaking teeth-- when my wisdom teeth came in I didn't even need to have them pulled!
Words are like bullets, I let them pass through me.
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Postby stumpytrunks » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:04 am

Had to have a chuckle there...my training bike has rsx brakes and cranks on it. Can't say she stops that well!
Pain hurts
stumpytrunks
The Tassie Devil

Return to General cycling