Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

New Ultimate Cages

New Ultimate Cages

Postby Soloist Assassin » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:48 pm

I am going to write a quick review of the New Ultimate Bottle cages.

I have had a pair of them for about 3 months now. I really liked them at first. The look is kind of bland, but minimalistic, which I suppose helps achieve the lightweight of them. They are light, exactly as advertised at 13.5g/ea. with bolts. They look really nice, and hold the bottle securely.

That is until they break. I as I finished a ride the the other day, I noticed the one on my seatube was broken. Dammit. The little part at the bottom that stops the bottle from falling down into the frame has broken, and no longer holds the bottle. It still held the bottle, but it slid down, and marked up the paint on my frame since the cage was no longer doing it's job. I don't even remember hitting any large bumps that day either. Another complaint is it does not work with Camelbak bottles. They are slightly larger than all my other bottles, and will not fit in this cage. I've had this happen with other carbon cages I have owned, but not quite in such a short time period. To be fair however they were not as light either. I doubt there is any kind of warranty, on such an item, so basically I am simply out $60, which is way more than the other cheaper cages I bought that lasted 3 years before breaking vs the 3 months these made it. I tried gluing the cracked carbon back together, and even layering an additional layer of carbon over each side of the cracked area. Nothing worked. Once these are cracked, they are done. My next idea is to completely cut off the stopper, and make an aluminum stopper that bolts into the lower bolt hole. That should fix it, but for $60, I would of expected more.
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Return to Reviews