Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

2011 S2 buid Lightning Zipp ect. New pics on page 3....

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: Soloist died, 2011 S2 build keeps the dream alive...

Postby mdeth1313 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:40 am

as for BB's, the zipps were the best I'd used w/ the lightning cranks, the lightning bb cups constantly needed attention and creaked after a few days to a week. The zipps seemed to last much longer. I haven't had any of those issues w/ the zipps. If you're using 50/34 rings, zipp's own chainrings only weigh about 19g more than the fiber-lyte rings I have on now. Stiffness of their chainrings isn't really an issue until you go to the 53/39 setup, so I'm very happy w/ them.
Words are like bullets, I let them pass through me.
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Postby Soloist Assassin » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:24 pm

The BB issue is probably my fault. I should of spent some more money on some better bearings. The Zipp bearings started to go south after about 1500 miles after I got it from you. Well being that all the bearings are 6806 sized in the Zipp cups. I just bought some 6806's off of ebay. They were noise free for all of 300 miles. Then I pulled the seals out, and packed more grease in them. That worked for another 300 miles or so. Last night my bike sounded horrible once again. So I completely cleaned the bearings dry, and this time I packed them full of Finishline grease. I took it out for a test spin, and it was silent. I am hoping this holds up for awhile, but I am already thinking that it won't last too long. I really wish Chris King made BB bearings in a 6806, but at this point, I am looking at Hawk Racing, or possibly some sort of Ceramic replacement.

I understand what your saying about the chainrings for the Zipp cranks, but it would just be so much more appealing if they were a standard 5 bolt pattern.
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby FAQinc » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:30 pm

If it's just bearings on their own I recommend SKF slightly more expensive than your average bearing but very durable also the seals on them are really solid I have a set on my beater single speed rear wheel and so far they performed smoothly.
Flatulence for men the musk that lingers.
FAQinc
Cat 2

Postby Soloist Assassin » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:54 pm

FAQinc wrote:If it's just bearings on their own I recommend SKF slightly more expensive than your average bearing but very durable also the seals on them are really solid I have a set on my beater single speed rear wheel and so far they performed smoothly.

Yeah, I just reuse the Zipp cups, and order 6806 bearings for them, and install them in the cups.
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby Soloist Assassin » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:50 pm

I've never really listed it all out before, but I did it as a request on another board, so here is the list of everything that made my S2 13.5lbs.

Frame : Cervelo S2 54cm
Fork : 3T Funda Pro
Headset : FSA Orbit
Top Cap : Parts of Passion carbon with alloy bolt
Stem: 3T ARX Team 120mm
Handlebars : FSA K-Wing Compact 44cm
Bartape : Fizik Microtex Gloss Black
Seatpost : Cervelo S Series Tuned
Seatpost Collar : Cervelo S2 bolt changed to Ti
Saddle : Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow
Wheels : Zipp 404 tubular (15g of stickers removed)
Tires : Zipp Tangente 21mm
Skewers : KCNC
Crankset : Lightning 170mm (logo removed)
Bottom Bracket : Zipp Vuma Quad cups with standard Sram BB30 bearings
Chainrings : 50t Stronglight CT2, and 34t Extralite
Chain Catcher : Far and Near
Pedals : Speedplay Zero Pedals, tuned with Ward Ti Spindles (159g/pr)
Chain : KMC X10-SL
Cassette : Sram Red 11-23
Front Derailleur : Sram Red
Rear Derailleur : Sram Red (minor tuning 140g)
Shifters : Sram Red
Brakes : KCNC w/ Swiss Stop Yellow Pads
Cables : Jagwire
Bottle Cages : New Ultimate

As pictured:
except I put these chainrings back on, because the Sram ones failed in under a month.
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby Soloist Assassin » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:13 pm

Well after going to these compact handlebars. I found I had to go with a longer stem to make things right. So I've got this boat anchor 160g Alpha Q 130mm stem now. I plan to replace it with a New Ultimate, or an Extralite, and the bars will be replaced with Zipp Vuka Sprints over the winter. I also am planing some other ideas to employ to see if I can get this bike under 13lbs with the 404s. Here is was yesterday, which was most likely the last ride of the year for the old girl as the weather has now gone to crap, and will continue to get worse.

Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Re: 2011 S2 buid Lightning Zipp ect. New pics on page 3....

Postby Soloist Assassin » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:46 pm

Got some new "Beyond Black" decals for my 404's.

Last edited by Soloist Assassin on Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby Soloist Assassin » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:16 pm

And another.....

Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby rlpaul » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:24 pm

Those decals look really nice. How hard were they to apply?
rlpaul
Cat 2

Postby Soloist Assassin » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:17 am

It was pretty easy. I could still kinda see where the old stickers were, so I used that has a reference point. It took about 15-20min to do both wheels. I think it looks 100% better. Zipp wheels look pretty crappy w/o stickers compared to other brands for some reason, and the "Beyond Black" stickers look great! My Spinergys on the other hand, I'll never put stickers back on them.
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby pritchet74 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:04 am

Loving the new decals. If only you could do the same to the labels on the frame, eh?
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Soloist Assassin » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:51 am

A respray may be on the agenda. One the not so distant horizon however will be the handlebars, and stem. Maybe a few other things....
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby pritchet74 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:32 pm

I have thought about re-painting my bike as well. I really don't like all the white on the frame. Not that I want all black, but some detail would be nice. I have though about re-doing the Cervelo logo with outlined lettering (like your Zipp decals) but doing them in a different color. Maybe green or blue. Red is just overdone in my opinion. Then get some details to match on the rest of the bike.

What other items are you itching to change? I have always wanted a lighter stem-bar combo, but both times I switched handlebars (Zipp SL and Schmolke SL) I ended up going back to my alloy Ritchey's after a couple months. I haven't been able to find something light in exactly the shape I want. Even the Ritchey carbon Logic bar isn't exactly the same shape as the regular Logic bar.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Soloist Assassin » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:18 am

I want to try the new Zipp Vuka Sprint bars, and an Extralite stem. I also want to get a 1 piece saddle post made. Been thinking of buying a post, and sending it to Slovenia, to have Jure mold a saddle onto it. I'm also still thinking about trying Fibre-Lyte chainrings. I want a sub 13lbs aero bike dammit. :D
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby pritchet74 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:27 am

I really like my FL rings. Been on them for almost 2 years now. They certainly don't look "as new" but they still shift good. And they are sexy as hell. :cheers:
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

PreviousNext

Return to General cycling