Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

2011 S2 buid Lightning Zipp ect. New pics on page 3....

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: Soloist died, 2011 S2 build keeps the dream alive...

Postby Soloist Assassin » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:41 am

I think this may be the ticket....

I chopped it up again to make it look like Fibre-Lyte aero rings. I think I may have to take the plunge and buy some.

Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby pritchet74 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:45 am

Much better looking. What type of FD are you using though? If SRAM then you might want to get a DA one as it might shift better with the FL rings. Just speculating though and also I had a Red FD and it was garbage on regular rings. The FL rings need a good strong derailleur the proper shifting.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Soloist Assassin » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:52 pm

Weird. I run Red derailleurs on this bike, and Force on my other road bike, and I've never had an issue with it. I'm also thinking about one of these chain rings, even know it is kinda heavy, but it does include the bolts so not too terrible I guess.

Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby mdeth1313 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:11 pm

Get the drill out and give that bad boy a good dose of religion (make it holy)!
Words are like bullets, I let them pass through me.
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:04 pm

I just found the Red FD unacceptably slow. Try a DA FD and I think you will like it better.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby mdeth1313 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:48 pm

pritchet74 wrote:I just found the Red FD unacceptably slow. Try a DA FD and I think you will like it better.

yeah, that or an older campy FD- mine chorus fd is down to 58g, works wonderfully w/ my "red hybrid" drivetrain. Which reminds me, I've had that FD since Jan/Feb of 2007, so it's approaching 4.5 years of service on my bike. Not bad for $25 (and about $50 more for that xx-light tuning kit I got from germany a couple of years later).
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:15 am

pritchet74 wrote:What type of FD are you using though? If SRAM then you might want to get a DA one as it might shift better with the FL rings. Just speculating though and also I had a Red FD and it was garbage on regular rings. The FL rings need a good strong derailleur the proper shifting.

I'd be tempted to agree with that. The only shifting issues we've come across with customer feedback recently is cases where they are using an Sram Red fd. I don't have personal experience of that fd, but based on customer feedback I'd be tempted to avoid it. I'm told the Force is ok though?

Regarding the TA Squale, I like the style of the chainring but (just a personal thing) I don't like the hidden bolt head idea. I like to be able to see them, I think it makes for a better look. Just my opinion :wink:
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby Soloist Assassin » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:15 am

Fibre-Lyte wrote:I'd be tempted to agree with that. The only shifting issues we've come across with customer feedback recently is cases where they are using an Sram Red fd. I don't have personal experience of that fd, but based on customer feedback I'd be tempted to avoid it. I'm told the Force is ok though?

Regarding the TA Squale, I like the style of the chainring but (just a personal thing) I don't like the hidden bolt head idea. I like to be able to see them, I think it makes for a better look. Just my opinion :wink:

Yeah, I was thinking with my particular cranks it may look odd, with the holes in the spider, but with others it seems to look good. I am still really kicking around the idea of the pocketed aero rings, and if I do, I will go the Campy FD route like mdeth. What kind of lifespan would you say your rings are capable of?
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby pritchet74 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:51 pm

Lifespan will depend heavily on your riding style. I have been on mine for over a year and I don't exactly baby them. I don't ride a ton of miles, but all of the terrain I ride is rolling so I shift a LOT. I will probably get a new set this winter.
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Soloist Assassin » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:57 am

pritchet74 wrote:Lifespan will depend heavily on your riding style. I have been on mine for over a year and I don't exactly baby them. I don't ride a ton of miles, but all of the terrain I ride is rolling so I shift a LOT. I will probably get a new set this winter.

Good info. I shift a lot too, and I ride this bike more than I should. I recently switched to a compact, and I find myself staying on the big ring a lot more now. I try to just grind it out, unless it really starts to ramp up. I have a training bike, but I like to ride this one a lot more. It's a really tough decision. I really love the look of the aero rings, plus the pocketed version is still lighter than any aluminum rings, the only thing holding me back is the price, and the fear of them not lasting long. Everyone that has them, seems to love them however, so I guess I should let that be my sign.
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby Soloist Assassin » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:19 pm

Here you go fellas. I am digging this new look. Hope you all like it. I always wanted to remove the logo from my Lightning crankset since I purchased it. It just looked cheesy imo. Now I kinda miss it, but I think it is a better look. I also ditched 15g of Zipp stickers, and put Sram Force rings on for a 9g loss. I hear the Sram rings are available in black. I want to pick up a set of those, and then it will be perfect I think. Doesn't look bad with these however, I don't think.

Race Spec on Zipp 404s
Training spec with Spinergy Stealth FCC
The logo on the crank was under the clear coat. So I had to sand it off, and then re clear it. I used a satin clear. I really like the look of it.
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby pritchet74 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:18 pm

Cranks look great! I am not a fan of logo-less wheels. Not sure why - maybe I think that it just looks cheap. It could just be that the huge white CERVELO logo screams for logos on the wheels.

What did you use for the clear coat? Can you post a link? I have heard about people sanding and re-clearing carbon, but was always curious about how to clear coat it. Is it just in an aerosol can?

Oh ya, I am digging your Spinergy training wheels. Those look cool.
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Soloist Assassin » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:39 am

Yeah, it was actually an aresol can. I used the satin kind. Real easy to work with. I actually used some crappy old Nikes today, and had a bit of pedal rub, so I used some Meguires Cleaner wax on the cranks, and now they look like high gloss. Not the look I was going for but it looks good.

http://www.krylon.com/products/acrylic_crystal_clear/

I love those Spirnergy wheels. They have the PBO spokes, and they ride like a dream. I wish the spokes were black instead of white, but I got a really good deal on them from a friend. I am undeniably faster with the 404s, but the Spinergy wheels ride excellent.

I feel kinda mixed about the wheel logos. I do agree it may kinda look just a bit better, however the racer in me thinks of maximum dimple effect, and 15g less weight. It's a tough call.
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby mdeth1313 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:27 am

looks great. I like the cranks w/out the old ford logo on there. I still prefer my zipp cranks however!
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Postby Soloist Assassin » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:37 am

mdeth1313 wrote:looks great. I like the cranks w/out the old ford logo on there. I still prefer my zipp cranks however!

Yeah, Zipp cranks are nice, but the stupid 4 bolt chainring has you so limited in chainring choices. It's probably only going to get worse with them now being discontinued. I love your old cranks btw. Now if only I could get some BB bearings that wouldn't creak, and sound like crap. I just cleaned every drop of grease from my bearings, and repacked them with Finish Line. Hopefully this will last awhile. I am on the brink of buying a set of Hawk Racing BB bearings. The 1yr warranty sounds appealing after my bad luck with BB's lately. I just wish Chris King would make a 30mm BB.
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

PreviousNext

Return to General cycling