Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Zipp 808 or Hed Stinger 9 in crosswinds

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Zipp 808 or Hed Stinger 9 in crosswinds

Postby zrima » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:33 am

Hi

I use Mavic Cosmic Carbon SL's at no drafting triathlons, but after reading this test (http://www.zipp.com/_media/productrevie ... %20mag.pdf ) I am dreaming about more aero wheels. Since they are really expensive, I decided that I would go maximally deep in case I buy something. That means 808 or Stinger 9 at front and back. So I am wondering now, how bad are those wheels in crosswinds? I weight 60kgs I do not have any problems with Cosmics. But those are probably completely different to 90mms rims?
Last edited by zrima on Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zrima
GT Dominator '10

Re: Zipp 808 or Hed Stinger 9 in crosswind

Postby Ypsylon » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:23 pm

I was in more or less the same situation and got myself a pair of Stinger 6s. In retrospective I could have gone deeper, and probably would have if I had had a Cosmic Carbon front I could have used as a back up in case it's really foul weather on race day.

That being said, I buy what ENVE say about their wheels in windy conditions and if you can wait until the deep ones come out that might be worth the wait for a 60kg rider.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby pritchet74 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:07 pm

The regular 808's are not good in crosswinds. The Stinger 9's are much better. The Zipp Firecrest wheels are better in crosswinds too, but not as fast as the Heds. Go with the 9's. Or the ENVE/Smarts if that's an option - those are supposed to be great in the wind as well.

I ride the new Hed Jet 9's. Love 'em.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:20 pm

I rode some 808's at Eurobike a few years back on their demo day and they were horrible in cross winds, enough to put me off using them. They were great with no wind at all, but get a sudden gust and it makes the bike really twitchy (and for the record I weigh 76kg).
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Re: Zipp 808 or Hed Stinger 9 in crosswinds

Postby zrima » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:45 pm

According to Enve's data here, Zipp is more aero than HED. Too bad that HED's stability results aren't on the graph also... Enve 8.9 could be a real winner, but it would probably be also the most expensive of these options. Is the release date known already?
zrima
GT Dominator '10

Postby pritchet74 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:30 am

zrima wrote:According to Enve's data here, Zipp is more aero than HED. Too bad that HED's stability results aren't on the graph also... Enve 8.9 could be a real winner, but it would probably be also the most expensive of these options. Is the release date known already?

Looking at the results for both the P3 and the Tarmac, the Enve wins, then the Hed Stinger 6, then the Zipps are after those. Note that although the Stinger 9 is in the legend, it's not in the actual results. I read that as it was better than the Enve so they chose not to show it in the results. Regardless, to me the Hed wheels sure look faster than Zipp. :banana:
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby mdeth1313 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:43 am

...and, getting some Hed(s) is always sexier (or more sexual) than getting some zipp(s). :xBanana7
Words are like bullets, I let them pass through me.
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:19 am

:cheers:
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:53 pm

see i thought that was a comment for pritchets 'Victoria' thread :roll: :D
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby pritchet74 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:39 am

He is broadening his horizons. :wink:
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby jrennie » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:37 am

Having had both the wheels you are looking at as well as what you are currently riding I wouldn't recommend either. I have been completely turned off of HED wheels just due to the super wide rim not working well with standard brakes and a serious pain getting a wheel change before a race or warming up on training wheels before a race.

There isn't much to be gained with a 56-60mm rim to a 82-90mm and the 56-60mm will be more versatile over conditions. I'd look at the s6 or s7 from hed, 404s from Zipp or my new favorite all purpose wheelset the ec90 aero. Love them for crits and road races but I have different wheels for time trials.
Quicky von Quick Quick
jrennie
El Campeón '10

Postby zrima » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:10 pm

I am not planning to use these wheels for road racing, I am looking for wheels for Ironman events. So I am not particularly worried about wheel exchanging prior the race. Which brakes do you have? I have read that there are problems with Sram brakes and that Campagnolo works well. Which does not help me much, because I have Shimano Ultegra 6600 brakes on my TT and Dura Ace 7800 on road bike. Does anybody know how do they work with HEDs?
zrima
GT Dominator '10

Postby Ypsylon » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:30 pm

I used my HED Stinger 6 with EE brakes and Ultegra 6700 brakes, I think with DA 7800 once as well and those all worked nicely.

Last week someone approached me and asked when I'd finally sell my Stingers, I had them more than two seasons now. I didn't know the parts police was on my back, but the price he offered was good enough to hand them over and I've got a pair of Smart-ENVE/Tune wheels on order. It'll be a couple of weeks till I have them, but I'll let you know what I think of them.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby FAQinc » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:18 pm

@Ypsylon you will be riding on some very sharp cutting edges ;)

A comparison between the 2 wheels would be a very rare and welcomed addition.
Flatulence for men the musk that lingers.
FAQinc
Cat 2

Return to General cycling