Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Cervélo aero post tuning

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: Cervélo aero post tuning

Postby Soloist Assassin » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:41 pm

Ypsylon wrote:Could you still check if the KCNC one would fit? That'd be nice.

Yeah I am definitely going to do that first. If it works I may just have him copy it. Of course I will weigh it as well.
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby pritchet74 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:12 pm

Soloist Assassin wrote:
... wrote:
Soloist Assassin wrote:/... I put the Cervelo pig iron piece back in,.../.

I forgot one word while mentioning the cradle :lol:

Otherwise that would be probably really the best way - to make your own ALU cradle. The only thing that I'm concerned by those cradles are the saddle rails..but obviously there is no problem. An ALU cradle with the same shape shouldn't be a problem to make, but it would be around twice the weight of the carbon one.

Yeah, that is why I was thinking like a really thin tube of aluminum with carbon laminated over it would keep the weight down, but be stronger. I actually have a customer in the shop right now, that is a CNC machinist, and he said he could make me one out of 6061 to the perfect spec for $30 so I think I am going to do that, just to be safe.

Have him make a few - many the price per part will come down. :wink:
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby RJK8 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:55 pm

Assassin, what kind of saddle and rails were you riding. Just curious.
RJK8
Cat 4

Postby Soloist Assassin » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:54 pm

RJK8 wrote:Assassin, what kind of saddle and rails were you riding. Just curious.

First I had a Specialized Toupe with Ti rails. Now currently it is a Selle Italia SLR Flow Kit Carbonio, with Carbon rails.
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby Soloist Assassin » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:17 am

Back to Ypsylon's KCNC request. I tried the KCNC cradle just moments ago. No bueno. The radius of the arc is much wider. It did however inspire hope. It weighed in at 9g on my scale, a scant 2g difference from my CF one Juri made me. Yet still way lighter than the Cervelo 24g pig iron. I am going to give the machinist my CF cradle tomorrow for him to get the radius off of. I also talked to him about the possibility of doing a small quantity of them. Anyone here interested?
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby pritchet74 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:06 pm

Yup. VERY interested.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby BMANX » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:14 pm

I will be checking my carbon cradle today and I am interested for sure.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

Cervelo SLC 5890g/12.98lbs
BMANX
Cat 1

Postby Ypsylon » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:22 pm

I can't promise anything, but I'm interested, and a friend of mine as well.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby Soloist Assassin » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:46 am

Cool, I'll keep you guys posted. I'll tell him to go ahead and make 5 for now. I don't want to sound like I am trying to horn in on our Slovenian friend's business, I won't be making a dime off of this. I still think his is a great idea, if you are careful with your bike, but I am not. I race it, and sometimes shit happens. I love that he offered to send me his last one as a replacement, I really appreciate it, but it isn't his fault it failed. Also I love how it did fail. It didn't break, and leave me stranded, it just started creaking. Also mine will be made of 6061 Aluminum, and he is instructed to make it as light as possible,
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby ... » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:19 am

Soloist Assassin - no problem, I made them 6 (and I have one still at home) so don't worry, I just tried to help your interesting idea and gave my best, not with a goal to make a business. I'm interested to see how will be the ALU cradle, keep us posted! I don't want to make my work a business because my free time etc., it is a hobby for me, but probably it would be nice to have a small company some day. I really appreciate your attention to my work and will sure keep you updated (in other topics).

I can ask a friend of mine if he could get some titanium - only the right tube, and I could send it to Soloist Assassin / to his friend, if he can work with titanium?
H a n d m a d e I n S l o v e n i a
Cat 1

Postby Ypsylon » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:30 am

Jure, just for your information, the one you sent me was taken out of my hands by a friend because he couldn't stand me having a lighter part than him. It's holding up nicely, and he loves to have a cf cradle almost nobdy else has, so he is a happy camper. I don't think it gets used nearly as much or as hard as by our Soloist Assasin, though.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby Soloist Assassin » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:03 pm

... wrote:Soloist Assassin - no problem, I made them 6 (and I have one still at home) so don't worry, I just tried to help your interesting idea and gave my best, not with a goal to make a business. I'm interested to see how will be the ALU cradle, keep us posted! I don't want to make my work a business because my free time etc., it is a hobby for me, but probably it would be nice to have a small company some day. I really appreciate your attention to my work and will sure keep you updated (in other topics).

I can ask a friend of mine if he could get some titanium - only the right tube, and I could send it to Soloist Assassin / to his friend, if he can work with titanium?

Yeah, you're a really good guy, and I appreciate your help. I have access to titanium, but I think aluminum will be plenty strong enough. I love watching your projects, you are truly an inspired craftsman.
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby RJK8 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:32 pm

Jure, any way to reinforce the carbon cradle as you did with the Kevlar in your frame? Maybe a few layers would give it a little more strength and probably a little weight penalty but would hold up better over the long haul(?????). I saw a post on Weight Weenies where a guy broke his Cervelo Alu seatpost head so obviously these things are not bombproof in Alu either. My cradle is still holding up after 2300 miles/3800 km but I pulled it off the other day and it is starting to bend a little. I am not surprised since I haven't been below 200 lbs in that time until now. That being said, I would like to have a backup just in case. I am also using Selle Italia Kit Carbonio Flow with carbon rails.
RJK8
Cat 4

Postby Soloist Assassin » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:42 pm

RJK8 wrote:Jure, any way to reinforce the carbon cradle as you did with the Kevlar in your frame? Maybe a few layers would give it a little more strength and probably a little weight penalty but would hold up better over the long haul(?????). I saw a post on Weight Weenies where a guy broke his Cervelo Alu seatpost head so obviously these things are not bombproof in Alu either. My cradle is still holding up after 2300 miles/3800 km but I pulled it off the other day and it is starting to bend a little. I am not surprised since I haven't been below 200 lbs in that time until now. That being said, I would like to have a backup just in case. I am also using Selle Italia Kit Carbonio Flow with carbon rails.

Hard to believe the Cervelo pig iron part broke. It is just cast low grade cast aluminum however. I have had my KCNC post on my other bike for 4years now with no problems, and my friend who was over 200lbs borrowed that bike all last summer. It is a higher grade forged aluminum piece. I think that is the ticket, or potentially Kevlar. I still think the best would be an aluminum carbon hybrid, but if I can get this machinist to make a cradle at 9g or under, I think that will be just fine.
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby ... » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:23 pm

Yes, like Soloist Assassin mentioned, the ALU should be fine. I think that with a few layers of kevlar it wouldn't be any better.

We'll see how will those ALU cradles look like, I'm really interested also about the weight. Otherwise I could try to make an ALU/carbon hybrid cradle.
H a n d m a d e I n S l o v e n i a
Cat 1

PreviousNext

Return to General cycling