Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Cervélo aero post tuning

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: Cervélo aero post tuning

Postby Soloist Assassin » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:59 pm

I rode the piss out of my Cervelo this weekend. I inadvertently nailed a pothole at speed while seated as well. No damage to anything, except possibly my sitbones. :)
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby RJK8 » Tue May 17, 2011 4:07 am

Up to 2300 miles on my cradle, no issues. You da man Jure.
RJK8
Cat 4

Postby BMANX » Tue May 17, 2011 4:12 am

I agree that Jure is the man. The best thing that I can say about the cradle is that it was stupid light, holds up forever and I never notice it is there.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

Cervelo SLC 5890g/12.98lbs
BMANX
Cat 1

Postby ... » Tue May 17, 2011 7:06 am

Thanks for those updates and for the compliments!! :D
H a n d m a d e I n S l o v e n i a
Cat 1

Postby Soloist Assassin » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:51 am

My cradle has out lasted my Zipp BB bearings. Probably have about 5k miles on it by now.
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby BMANX » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:22 am

Berk to me is the next Samu. I might even say the next evolution of Samu. If you do not know who Samu is then head over to WW and check out his name over there. He did such amazing work.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

Cervelo SLC 5890g/12.98lbs
BMANX
Cat 1

Postby ... » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:47 pm

Thanks for those compliments :cheers:

Yes, I already heard for "Samu's kitchen", really great work! But does anybody know, is he still making any carbon parts?

About the cradle, I'm really glad that it's going well! I still have one 6.8g at home, if anybody is interested just write to me.

Now I'm working on the PROTO-TYPE 3 frame and after that I will most probably make a TT frame or even a wheelset (I already have constructed everything, but it would be quite expensive to make the moulds..), will see, it depends also on my financial status :grin:, but probably I'll prefer a TT frame, with my own fork, bars,...will see, I'll sure keep you updated :wink:
Cat 1

Postby Soloist Assassin » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:45 am

I think mine finally died. I had been noticing some creaking while seated lately, and I took it off to see if it was cracked. It was not cracked, but the whole thing is bowed down on the ends. I put the Cervelo pig iron piece back in, and they creak is gone now. I am almost certain it has happened from hitting large bumps while seated, even know I am a fairly light rider at 68kg.
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby ... » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:01 pm

I'm sorry to hear that and thanks for the updates. Maybe just one question - how many km did you made with it? I still have one "in stock" and I can send you a new one if you could send me the "broken" one. I would love to see it.
Cat 1

Postby Soloist Assassin » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:35 pm

I can't remember when exactly I got it, but I would say probably 5-6,000km. It really doesn't appear to be cracked, it just looks bowed, and the final layer which looks to be a cosmetic layer has de-laminated. I took some pics for you. I am not sure carbon is a good material for this part, but maybe others have had better luck.

Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby ... » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:58 am

Thanks for those photos. I was quite sceptic about the saddle rails because the cradle is very narrow, but as it looks a 6g cradle isn't strong enough. Maybe Cervelo knows why they are using some iron cradles.
Cat 1

Postby Soloist Assassin » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:13 pm

... wrote:Thanks for those photos. I was quite sceptic about the saddle rails because the cradle is very narrow, but as it looks a 6g cradle isn't strong enough. Maybe Cervelo knows why they are using some iron cradles.

Haha, they aren't really iron, just aluminum. I'd really like to make one out of aluminum I think that would be the ticket, or maybe aluminum reinforced carbon. I am thinking like get an aluminum tube close to the diameter, and then layer carbon over it, until you get the right diameter curve, then drills holes for rails, and cut it in half, and finish it up. Similar to how you did the first cradles, but with aluminum inside for more strength, and slightly more weight.

The other option, would be just buying a cradle that works. I wish I could find a place to just buy the KCNC cradle I think it would work. I have one of their posts on another bike, I am going to try it, and I may just buy another post for the cradle, unless I can get Fairwheel to just sell me the cradle. I think I may test it tonight. Either that or go crazy with the drill, and grinder on the Cervelo piece.
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby ... » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:22 pm

Soloist Assassin wrote:/... I put the Cervelo pig iron piece back in,.../.

I forgot one word while mentioning the cradle :lol:

Otherwise that would be probably really the best way - to make your own ALU cradle. The only thing that I'm concerned by those cradles are the saddle rails..but obviously there is no problem. An ALU cradle with the same shape shouldn't be a problem to make, but it would be around twice the weight of the carbon one.
Cat 1

Postby Soloist Assassin » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:14 pm

... wrote:
Soloist Assassin wrote:/... I put the Cervelo pig iron piece back in,.../.

I forgot one word while mentioning the cradle :lol:

Otherwise that would be probably really the best way - to make your own ALU cradle. The only thing that I'm concerned by those cradles are the saddle rails..but obviously there is no problem. An ALU cradle with the same shape shouldn't be a problem to make, but it would be around twice the weight of the carbon one.

Yeah, that is why I was thinking like a really thin tube of aluminum with carbon laminated over it would keep the weight down, but be stronger. I actually have a customer in the shop right now, that is a CNC machinist, and he said he could make me one out of 6061 to the perfect spec for $30 so I think I am going to do that, just to be safe.
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby Ypsylon » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:29 pm

Could you still check if the KCNC one would fit? That'd be nice.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

PreviousNext

Return to General cycling