Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Berk PROTO-TYPE 3

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: Berk PROTO-TYPE 3

Postby Ypsylon » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:47 pm

Very impressive work.

I wouldn't worry about it being sub 1000g or a smidge over.

It's funny, but the difference between 970 and 990 and then between 990 and 1010 is just 20 each time, even though 1010 looks like so much more. Physics doesn't care 'bout that though, so you'll be fine.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby BMANX » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:49 pm

I think that is an amazing build for 1020g in the end when you factor in what is actually on the frame.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

Cervelo SLC 5890g/12.98lbs
BMANX
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:53 pm

I wouldn't worry about making a lighter frame either. It looks great!

I like the idea of you going for a TT frame as the next project.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby BMANX » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:18 pm

Yes TT frame with some cool trick ideas. Brakes have to be Aero and integrated as much as possible.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

BMANX
Cat 1

Postby ... » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:35 pm

Thanks for the compliments!

Yes, I also think that it is time to make a TT frame 8-) of course with integrated brakes, also with a custom fork, stem and bar,...as aero as possible!

Anyway, I just can't wait that I first finish the PROTO-TYPE 3 frame!!!
H a n d m a d e I n S l o v e n i a
Cat 1

Postby Gumgardner » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:19 pm

You definitely have an amazing talent. I hope you are able to turn it into $$$$$ and a long career. Where did you learn how to work with carbon?
Gumgardner
Cat 2

Postby ... » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:24 am

Thanks, I already earn for some new projects (I made a few saddle/seatpost combos) and it would be really a dream job to have a small company some day.

Where did you learn how to work with carbon?

Most of the things were learned with experimenting. There is a lot of theory how things are made, but it is a completely different story in practice. I experimented a lot and colected as much informations as possible, and noted all the details etc.,..
Otherwise I made rocket engines years ago (rocket bodys and also fuel) so there was already quite a lot of chemistry and technic. One year I and a friend of mine get the award as the best Slovenian young scientists. He is still in chemistry (I only gradueted from it in gymnasium) and I'm more in technic. Altough I'm all the time a cyclist I still can't live without technical challenges :grin:. When I was only a few years old they tought that I was an autist (I learned to multiply before I was 6 etc.,..), also because I was very quiet and played all days with LEGO from my older brother. Somehow you have it in your blood for those things :grin: ...and here I am, working with carbon and so I unite my two passions - cycling and technical challenges.
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:17 pm

I wouldn't worry about integrated brakes. If you want a project where you could make some money, make a carbon fairings that goes over some EE brakes. People would line up to buy that.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Gumgardner » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:46 pm

I'm not certain people are lining up to buy EE brakes.
Gumgardner
Cat 2

Postby pritchet74 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:54 pm

Well, if they actually had them available maybe they would. :wink:

I think that the EE brake with a good fairing would be amazing. They work great and are a good weight. What's not to love?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Gumgardner » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:31 pm

I had a set. They are very nice, fairly light, a little ugly. I don't think many people know about them though.

I'd love to see a TT frame. I'd also like to see a sub800g frame. Really close with this one considering the seat post and seat were integrated.
Gumgardner
Cat 2

Postby Ypsylon » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:05 am

Gumgardner wrote:I had a set. They are very nice, fairly light, a little ugly.

I dont agree about the ugly part, but if I did it would be one fairing, two mocking birds.

As soon as there are pics up on slowtwitch they would sell like candy.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby ... » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:11 pm

@pritchet74
It would be possible, but I would need a pair of those brakes to measure all the details etc.,..

Gumgardner wrote:I'd love to see a TT frame. I'd also like to see a sub800g frame. Really close with this one considering the seat post and seat were integrated.

I'll first test this frame and then I'll see what will be my next project, but most probably a TT frame. I'll make as much km as possible with the PROTO-TYPE 3 frame to see what could be done better, lighter,... That is my favourite part by my projects - testing and trying to make it even better, lighter,.. :grin:
Cat 1

Postby dalai » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:21 pm

Ypsylon wrote:
Gumgardner wrote:I had a set. They are very nice, fairly light, a little ugly.

I dont agree about the ugly part, but if I did it would be one fairing, two mocking birds.

As soon as there are pics up on slowtwitch they would sell like candy.

Better than a fairing (not UCI legal :evil: ), how about a full carbon centre pull aero front brake? 8)
dalai
Cat 1

Postby BMANX » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:41 am

Alright guys, I might be able to send a pair of EE brakes for a fairing to be made. I would love to have a pair of those on my SLC so I will be the guy to start it and you know I would post it over on Slowtwitch to rub it in that I had something on one else has.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

BMANX
Cat 1

PreviousNext

Return to General cycling