Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Required Tools to Replace Bearings on Extralite Hubs?

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Required Tools to Replace Bearings on Extralite Hubs?

Postby kreyszig » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:21 pm

Hi,

so I got Extralite SPX and SPM hubs and I would like to know which tools I should get to replace the bearings. I got the PRESS-1 (Wizard) press from Wheels Manufacturing which should allow me to install new bearings for the rear hub. Do I need other tools to install bearings on the front hub?

To remove bearings, I was looking for something that would work with my PRESS-1, but it does not seem to exist. I am looking at getting the PRESS-6 and then have some parts machined to use it with my PRESS-1 (I don't want to hammer out the bearings). Do you have any better idea?

Thanks!
kreyszig
Cyclotourist

Re: Required Tools to Replace Bearings on Extralite Hubs?

Postby mises » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:22 pm

The best thing to use is a blind bearing remover/puller. You can usually find them at a decent auto parts store. The one I have is similar to this (though I sure didn't pay that much for it!) http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0292

Works great on all sorts of hubs, BBs etc.
mises
Cat 4

Return to General cycling