Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Berk PROTO-TYPE 3

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: Berk PROTO-TYPE 3

Postby ... » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:32 pm

I made it with vacuum-bagging and an ordinary mould. Probably you can found some videos how it is made on youtube..?

Otherwise here are some news:
I just get the bar for the build - an ALU Ritchey WCS (42cm). I just love those bars, I already use those bars the last 4 or 5 seasons... I prefer to have an ALU bar and stem, don't really care for those +50g compared to carbon because I prefer to have a stiff bar/stem... In our team we all use those bars :thumbup:.

And some more carbon work. The brake-bridge is prepared for some more carbon work. I'll glue it on the frame and then I'll make a few more layers on the joints and also on the bridge (to make it as stiff as possible). Here just some more photos:

The "bridge" will be at the end cca. 2mm thicker,..

Of course still some more work to do,..just can't wait!

This weekend I had again some big races and on Wednesday I'll have another stage race (Czech Republic) till Monday..after that I'll finally start with the work on the surface and slowly I'll get also all the parts for the build. Unfortunately the progress is quite slow, but I hope you enjoy it at least a few % like I do :D .The season is quite hard, here just two photos from the season if anybody is interested. Number 124, for 35 you probably know who it is; http://tinypic.com/r/eajvpt/7 , http://tinypic.com/r/m9txk4/7. As soon as I'll have some more time I'll for sure continue with the work!
H a n d m a d e I n S l o v e n i a
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:32 pm

I love that you use that Ritchey bar. I just LOVE that bar shape. I was on a Schmolke bar for about 9 months, and just went back to my Ritchey bar my my hands are grateful for it - the shape is just PERFECT!
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby ... » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:06 pm

Yes, those bars are really great and I won't change it for anything (maybe only for a carbon one :grin:, but ALU is stiffer and of course also cheaper.. :grin: )

Otherwise, here already some more photos from the brake-bridge:

As soon as I'll have some more time I'll make the last carbon work on the PROTO-TYPE 3 frame - a few layers of reinforcement on the brake-bridge and a few more details to do (on the dropouts etc.,..). After that I'll add a few thin layers of epoxy and sand the surface again...
Cat 1

Postby mdeth1313 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:48 pm

pritchet74 wrote:I love that you use that Ritchey bar. I just LOVE that bar shape. I was on a Schmolke bar for about 9 months, and just went back to my Ritchey bar my my hands are grateful for it - the shape is just PERFECT!

I had to ditch the schmolkes for fit reasons and ended up w/ ritchey superlogic carbon II- same (or very similar) shape and I do love them (even w/ the 24g weight penalty).
Words are like bullets, I let them pass through me.
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Postby ... » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:59 pm

Some new photos - I just cut the ISP and put the saddle on (I still have to glue it and of course make the carbon reinforcements) and I just "build" it for some quick photos.

As I already mentioned I'll use Ritchey WCS bar. I'll use also a Ritchey WCS stem.

I'll also remove the paint from the 3T fork, some more details to do on the frame, etc.,...

Now I'll precise glue the saddle on the ISP and after that still some more carbon work to do...the weight of the frame at this moment is 923g. The saddle (with the reinforcements) will add cca. 60g.

At the end it will be a SUB 1000g frame - with internal routing and integrated saddle :cheers:

Soon I'll get some more parts for the build. As soon as there will be any progress I'll keep you updated!
Cat 1

Postby Ypsylon » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:49 pm

Wow, looks like a bike now. And like a mighty fine one, I might add.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby BMANX » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:00 pm

Berk, you have to do a Di2 build that is totally internal where people look at the bike and can not figure out how it was done. That would be amazing.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

Cervelo SLC 5890g/12.98lbs
BMANX
Cat 1

Postby ... » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:22 pm

@Ypsylon
Thanks, it really does, I just can't wait that I finish and have a ride with it!

@BMANX
Yes, that would really be amazing, but Di2 is at this moment to expensive for me..I'll get a new Sram Red groupset for a really good price and I really love this group, I have it also on my team-bike.

Most probably I will build this frame with white cables, that you could clearly see where are they going :mrgreen:

I already have some ideas how I'll design the look of the frame! I just have to do some more work and I really just can't wait that I ride with it! Of course I'll keep you updated as soon as there will be some more progress!

Otherwise most probably my next project will be a TT frame, and if I'll be going to make a TT frame, then that would mean that the frame would have integrated brakes, custom made fork/stem/bar combo,...will see :wink:
Cat 1

Postby ... » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:07 pm

The saddle is glued, now I have to make the reinforcements ("carbon wings" below the saddle)

I also removed some paint from the fork,..Under the paint the UD layer isn't a "beauty layer" and I'll paint the fork with my own design..
Cat 1

Postby flameboy » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:39 pm

Perfetto!
flameboy
Cat 3

Postby Gumgardner » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:45 pm

I love it!

Have you decided on any decals? Are you doing the "..." as your symbol? I think that would be cool to incorporate. There is a clothing company that has the ... And people refer to them as 3 dot. Not sure how copyright issues work.

Any news on the stem?
Gumgardner
Cat 2

Postby Ypsylon » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:00 pm

You are planning a stem? Musta missed that.

No copyright issues as long as you don't sell it.

Then, even if you made it commercialy available, they would have to protect bicycle parts as well.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby ... » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:50 pm

Gumgardner wrote:I love it!

Have you decided on any decals? Are you doing the "..." as your symbol? I think that would be cool to incorporate. There is a clothing company that has the ... And people refer to them as 3 dot. Not sure how copyright issues work.

Any news on the stem?

Didn't know that about the "..." symbol. I used it when I made rockets and rocket fuel years ago... Otherwise it is also some type of "decoration", not just a symbol.

Otherwise I prefer to brand my parts with my surename "Berk".

Ypsylon wrote:You are planning a stem? Musta missed that.

No copyright issues as long as you don't sell it.

Then, even if you made it commercialy available, they would have to protect bicycle parts as well.

I worked on a stem but never really made it. I'll start with some new projects after I finish this frame, but don't really know what will be my next project :grin:.
Cat 1

Postby ... » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:07 pm

I already finished with the carbon work, also the "carbon wings" below the saddle are already shaped. The frame is rough and prepared for some more work, I just have to do some more work on the surface and add the "ALU coils" for bottle cages. The frame is at this moment 998g

At the end it will be a few grams more because those details and the finish (paint/lacquer). Probably it will be around 1020g at the end. Not SUB 1000g, but I'm anyway very happy with the resoult for a frame/seatpost/saddle combo with internal cable routing 8).

If I would cut the ISP with the saddle, then the frame would be around 120g lighter (around 880g).

During this weekend I'll make the last details and I should also soon get the Sram Red parts.
Hopefully I'll be on the road with PROTO-TYPE 3 till the end of this month, altough I'll have another stage race next week, but only for 3 days..

After that I already decided that I'll start a new project. But first I'll test this frame and then I'll see what will be my next project...most probably a TT frame... I know also how I could make my own wheelset but it depends also on my financial status, will see...maybe I'll even make another lightweight frame :lol: I think that it could be even lighter! This frame should be as stiff as the PROTO-TYPE 2 frame, so aslo for racing, but it would be possible to make an even lighter frame, but more for some training rides than for racing - for enjoyment..will see, I'll for sure keep you updated! :wink:

Here just a few quick photos:

Carbon fibre reinforcements under the saddle:

Carbon brake-bridge:

998g
Cat 1

Postby Gumgardner » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:19 pm

:xBanana5: :xBanana5: :xBanana5: :xBanana5: :xBanana5: :xBanana5:
Gumgardner
Cat 2

PreviousNext