Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Bonding CF to SS Bearing? (DIY CF jockey) UPDATE w/ pics

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Bonding CF to SS Bearing? (DIY CF jockey) UPDATE w/ pics

Postby timj » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:42 pm

I've recently CNC cut some custom jockey wheels out of a carbon fiber sheet that I had laying around and am having trouble bonding them to SS bearings. Originally I had just used epoxy resin and put a generous amount around the flanged part of the bearing. After installing them on my bike the top pulley lasted all of about 5 minutes before separating itself from it's bearing.

How has everyone else been able to secure bearings to CF pulleys? I'd really appreciate any help.

(CF sheet is 1.5 mm and bearings are 5x10x4 mm flanged bearings.)

pics:

Last edited by timj on Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
timj
Cat 5

Re: Bonding CF to SS Bearing? (custom Jockey wheel)

Postby timj » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:20 pm

I noticed that with 1.5mm thick pulleys there was way too much sideways play on the chain. So I decided to laminate two of the pulleys together (making it 3mm thick). I had to file the tips of the sprocket down but now it meshes with the chain very well. It also gives me twice the gluing area with the bearing so I'm hopeful that this will last.

Ideally I would have liked to make this out of 2.5mm carbon. I haven't had a chance to weigh it yet but it's definitely lighter than the stock pulley. I will ride it for a couple hundred km before making the upper pulley, just to make sure that it holds up.

I also plan on making an inner mech plate. So I will keep this thread updated.

If anyone's interested in the .DXF files just shoot me a PM and I can email them to you.

pics:

timj
Cat 5

Re: Bonding CF to SS Bearing? (custom Jockey wheel)

Postby Boonen » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:23 pm

Nice work Tim, I think you'll do better with the thicker pulleys as well.
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Re: Bonding CF to SS Bearing? (DIY CF jockey) UPDATE w/ pics

Postby cyteen » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:46 pm

In the past I have had success with first using epoxy and when that came loose using super glue (cyano acrylate) to fix the epoxy to the ss spindle. Using two stages was better than either one alone.
cyteen
Cyclotourist

Return to General cycling