Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

exustar 200 ti

exustar 200 ti

Postby mdeth1313 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:01 am

I've had these now for a couple of months and I haven't been keeping track of mileage, but a rough estimate puts me between 1000-1500 miles on these. I paid about $230 for mine, although you can get them for about $200 if you hit sales right in the states, I think you can find them at e-cyclingstore when they run 20% off for less than $200.

Mine weighed in at 176g for the pair. They're look keo compatible and I've had no issues w/ the cleats, a little more slippery than time iclics, but nothing I can't handle. I removed the rubber "plug" they have in the middle of the cleat, makes for better entry/exit.

The only issue I had was a piece of the front part of the pedal chipped off. It was replaced quickly and without issue, but I believe that was my fault. I tried them with bont shoes and the cleat bolts were too long, protruding into the shoe. So I put some washers on and it interfered w/ the pedal/cleat engagement. I had a hard time clicking out and the next day I noticed the chip. The 1000+ miles since have been trouble free. As a matter of fact, my biggest complaint is the cleat bolts are too long- I did cut some down w/ a dremel but I recently picked up a pack of 100 m5 x 8mm stainless bolts so that problem has been solved.

Ok- riding them-
Coming from time rxs for 2 years and then 1-2 years of time iclics, I like the engagement on these a lot better. You can tell when you're in, and it only took a couple of rides to master getting clicked in. I don't notice much difference in platform. Compared to the time cleats, these are not as long, but the time cleats have those raised areas for walking. I also like being able to pick up extra cleats for less than $10.
To be honest, other than the engagement, I haven't noticed much difference. They spin nice and smooth, with the rxs titanium axle my right pedal developed play and an annoying clicking noise after about 1000 miles. Nothing yet w/ the exustar pedal. Aesthetically, I like these more, as the iclic titanium pedal had red parts on it that I'd prefer not to have. The all black w/ white lettering on the exustar is much nicer to me.
The only other thing is how the pedal "sits" when not engaged- you'll notice it in the pic w/ my super-duper-awesome-vumaquads w/ fibrelyte rings- they tend to hang vertical- this hasn't been an issue for me getting back into the pedal.
I did notice exustar is using bushings, but the pedal is easily serviceable- the tools they have available cost between $4 and $10.

At 176g for the pair, compared to the 185g for the iclic titan and rxs titan, you can't beat the price. Replacement cleats are cheaper as well, as I picked up 2 sets of a "lower model" for about $30 each from PBK for my beater bike and my computrainer bike. $30 for a 226g set of pedals is pretty incredible!
Attachments
exustar 200ti.jpg
6-8 Scott Addict vuma fiberlyte.jpg
Words are like bullets, I let them pass through me.
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Return to Reviews