Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Rear Mech Aero Cover

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Rear Mech Aero Cover

Postby w01fy » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:18 am

Hi all,

first time posting after being refered to this forum :)

I'm after getting hold of something like this rear mech fairing

Afrer following up with a couple of companies i was directed here, as some people do one off carbon bits?

Any input or direction would be appriciated

Thanks

W01fy
w01fy
Cat 5

Re: Rear Mech Aero Cover

Postby Oilman » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:32 am

Oilman
Cat 3

Postby w01fy » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:21 am

cheers for the link.

i have seen that, but cost being one of an issue (from what im told the cost is) and they have not replied to emails. its only for SRAM red i understand as well
w01fy
Cat 5

Postby Ypsylon » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:11 pm

w01fy wrote:I'm after getting hold of something like this rear mech fairing

That is not a fairing! :teacher: (Btw, j0m, can we get a UCI shirt for the smart ass emoticon?)

I'd turn to forum member fibre-lyte, I think he just got back from a vacation, but it could be a couple more days.

What RD do you have in mind?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby w01fy » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:46 pm

fibre lyte was one person suggesting here :)

thinking of a UL 6700 at the moment.

ive started reading about how to do carbon bits, so may end up giving it a go
w01fy
Cat 5

Postby pritchet74 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:47 pm

Forum member Dark_Albert (I might have spelt that wrong, but you can search the member list to be sure) might be able to do that too. He modified my SRAM Red RD a couple years ago to take the large pulley wheels and his price was much better than the Berner one. Communication was excellent and service was really quick. I can't recommend him highly enough.

Reminds me - I might need to send my Di2 RD to him for that modification at the end of the race season....
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Ypsylon » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:01 pm

I was thinking about Albert as well but I haven't seen him active in ages in the German forums. not sure what he's doing.

If you are going for aero, I'd recommend a Shadow MTB RD, sits in tighter and has cleaner cable routing. Just the new gen is incompatible, afaik.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby w01fy » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:18 pm

thanks I have poped him a PM (no reply yet), does he run the website in his profile? As i may pop him an email.

Also from people that have done their own carbon work, would a peice like that be a substantial amount of work, looks like i would need to make something like a bladder or polastireen(omg my spelling) that could be removed/melted out after to get a single peice.

Doesn't look like the best thing to try first time lol, especially if i want to put in the larger jockey wheels etc
w01fy
Cat 5

Postby Ypsylon » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:50 pm

He works there and AFAIK is the cycling department, so an e-mail should find its way if you put RD plate for Stephen or something like that into it.

I know very little about working with CF but common sense would make myself look for something else to start. You need to get everything perfectly straight or preload on the lil bearings will be at an awful vector.

Not sure if it's likely to happen or not, but if you get anything jammed something awful can happen.

http://fairwheelbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2698&p=30719

I'd wait for an answer from someone who does it for a living before I'd even start looking into it. CF, especially in small quantities, is expensive and you won't really save money.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby Boonen » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:23 am

It's funny how that tread keeps surfacing every now and then :grin:

w01fy; I made my own carbon cage for a DA derailleur some years ago. I used the mounting part of the original cage and cut the rest out of 3mm carbon plates. It wasn't too hard to do, if you want to mould your own cage it sounds like a more complicated job.
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby w01fy » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:20 pm

im thinking of not replacing the cages but just making a fairing basically....

not sure how it will work at this moment, i need to find a spare cage and start measuring and drawing it up in autocad etc
w01fy
Cat 5

Postby w01fy » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:21 pm

ive not managed to contact them,.... anyone got any other suggestions?
w01fy
Cat 5

Return to General cycling