Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Di2 Push Button Switches?

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Di2 Push Button Switches?

Postby colorchange » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:40 pm

I am looking to add sprint and climbing switches to my Di2 set-up. What switches are recommended or have been used?

TIA

Tim
colorchange
Cat 4

Re: Di2 Push Button Switches?

Postby jever98 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:14 am

Thinking about the same things - my favorite right now are the Cateye remote buttons - thin, not too big, can be glued on.
jever98
Cat 5

Postby colorchange » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:02 am

They look great. Just ordered two sets. I'll post how I like them.
colorchange
Cat 4

Postby pritchet74 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:04 am

Yup. Those are awesome. I have a them on my road setup. My TT setup will have 4 pairs of 'em.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby colorchange » Tue May 24, 2011 11:24 pm

OK, I have the switches on the tops mounted and they work like a charm. Where is the best place for the sprint switches? I know right near the bottom of the hood covers, but not sure to put them below, cut into the covers, etc. Any suggestions from experience?
colorchange
Cat 4

Postby colorchange » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:24 pm

Here are a couple snaps of my buttons. I don't have the sprint buttons permanently mounted as I'm still optimizing placement.

Climbing - tops

Sprint - drops

colorchange
Cat 4

Postby pritchet74 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:20 pm

Where is the other button for the top? Or did you just split the pair and put one on top and one for the sprint button?
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby colorchange » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:52 pm

The left button shifts the rear derailleur to a larger cog, the right button to a smaller cog. The buttons on the top and the sprint buttons are wired the same way. I ran the wires through my bars as they have internal channels.
colorchange
Cat 4

Postby Ypsylon » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:14 pm

Will SRAM make the leap?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby pritchet74 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:23 pm

Ypsylon wrote:Will SRAM make the leap?

Too funny. I was thinking the same thing!
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby colorchange » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:59 pm

I know, makes me laugh too. I am running a SRAM cassette at least.
colorchange
Cat 4

Postby BMANX » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:55 pm

I think Sram is sitting back and seeing what everyone is doing with the Di2. Looking at all of the modifications being done and what is possible. They will integrate all of these modification into one hell of a slick set up. If you look at the Di2 modifications being done there is a ton of improvement that can be done and if someone other than Shimano is paying attention and was smart enough to have a few systems in their position, they could do such a better job.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

Cervelo SLC 5890g/12.98lbs
BMANX
Cat 1

Postby BikeTech » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:20 am

colorchange wrote:The left button shifts the rear derailleur to a larger cog, the right button to a smaller cog. The buttons on the top and the sprint buttons are wired the same way. I ran the wires through my bars as they have internal channels.

Very nice. I'm waiting for my Cateye buttons to arrive, because I'm going to replicate your setup, at least for the buttons on the drops (I've already got the Shimano dedicated climbing shifter). I'm assuming you spliced the buttons directly to the front wiring harness. If so, can you give any pointers for the Cateye buttons? i.e. which colored wires on the Cateye buttons should be spliced to which colored wires on the front wiring harness, etc. Thanks in advance!
BikeTech
Cat 5

Postby colorchange » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:51 am

I cant remember but I pulled up the thread with the wiring diagram and used that. By memory, green and red, think black for common. Don't remember which was up and down.
colorchange
Cat 4

Postby goodboyr » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:25 pm

I just did the wiring connecting the Cateye buttons to the STI shifters extra plug using the Shimano extension cables. The Cateye buttons come as pairs. You cut off the little junction connector and you've got a pair of cables, one for each button. Inside the cable is an uninsulated wire, and an insulated one (either red or white depending on the button). The Shimano extension cable has 4 wires : blue, red, black and green. Connect the two Cateye uninsulated wires together and to the green shimano wire, connect the red Cateye wire to either the red or black shimano wire, connect the white Cateye wire to either the red or black shimano wire that was not connected to the red Cateye wire. Blue wire is not connected to anything. So, in summary:
Cateye wires Shimano Wires
Bare Green
Red Red
White Black

Since the cateye buttons are separate, once you connect things up, push the buttons and you will see which is up and which is down. The nice thing about the Cateye buttons is that they have the number 1 or 2 on the button, making them easy to identify.

A couple of tips.
I soldered and heatshrinked all connections. The wires are so small that twisting is not a great connection. Each of the wires appears to have a small plastic fibre type wire running intermingled with it. So the trick i used was a cheap battery powered soldering iron. I used that to melt the insulation, melt the plastic fibre, and tin the leads all in one shot. Made doing the connections very easy.

Be very careful removing the outer sheath from these cables. The wires inside are small and easily nicked and damaged. As well, use the tip above to melt off the inner insulation covering individual wires, don't try to mechanically strip and pull the insulation, you'll just break off the wire too.
goodboyr
Cat 5

Next

Return to General cycling