Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Berk PROTO-TYPE 3

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: Berk PROTO-TYPE 3

Postby ... » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:54 pm

I had some more free time, and after some more work the "front triangle" is prepared for gluing, but before that I'll also have quite a lot of work to prepare the internal cable routing etc.,..

The mould for the new dropouts is already made and prepared for the carbon work, and when I'll have some more time I'll make the dropouts and continue with the work...hope you like it at this stage! I'm really happy that I made the seat-tube UD, because I really like the look of it (it will match with the fork and the LW spokes)...:mrgreen:
H a n d m a d e I n S l o v e n i a
Cat 1

Postby ... » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:56 pm

Some more photos from the prototype dropout.
I already made another mould for the dropouts, but anyway, here just some more photos from the first prototype:

The weight with the derailleur hanger (the same as on Scott Addict) and without it:
Image Image
28.7g and 16.4g (the derailleur hanger with bolts is 12.3g)
Cat 1

Postby Mike K. » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:27 am

Great work! Will be a fine looking machine when completed!
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Mike K.
Cat 1

Postby ... » Thu May 12, 2011 7:34 am

Thanks!

I just saw that I didn't updated the progress :oops: ...

I already made a new mould for the dropouts, a bit more "bulletproof" and with internal cable routing. First I just made a test prototype, and here are just a few more photos from those dropouts, just to show you how I will make it with the internal routing.

You can see the orange small tube - those small tubes will be in-laminated in the inside of the tubes and connected together in one smooth line, so that the cable will run smooth and the instalation of the cables won't be a problem. It's true that it will be a bit harder to make it, but it will be worth the extra work!

Rough dropout with cable:

The small tube in the dropout is slightly curved because the rear derailleur cable routing.

The weight of this dropout is at this moment 31.7g. Anyway, I will make a new pair of them and they still have to be a bit shorter for the frame etc.,..at the end it should be less than 60g for both dropouts.

I'm still very busy and hopefully I will manage to continue with the work soon, just can't wait that I make some more work on this project!
Cat 1

Postby Boonen » Thu May 12, 2011 8:45 am

This is getting better all the time! Looking forward to see to see this frame when it's all done :D
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby ... » Mon May 16, 2011 5:46 pm

Thanks! Today I finally managed to contiune with the PROTO-TYPE 3 frame project, as soon as there will be some more progress I will let you know. I'm working on the new dropouts and after I made them I will make the holes for the internal routing, in-laminate the small tubes, etc.,..

Unfortunately not about the frame, but here just some more photos from another combo that I made this week - this time it is SUB 120g, 31.6mm x 280mm, <80kg.

8-)

Hope that I will be soon able to post also some new photos of the frame!
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Mon May 16, 2011 6:13 pm

Wow.........
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby ... » Mon May 23, 2011 9:46 pm

Some details for the cable routing..."integrated cable end caps":

The diemater of the cable stop is only 6mm. I don't like those huge holes for the internal instalation like on some serial frames (on my team bike Cento1 it is 12mm for the internal routing/cable stop...)

And the top-tube:

Of course I will still have to do some more work on the surface etc.,...but I will make it later, when I will bond the tubes together and after that I will probably cover the cable routing details with the same beauty layer as on the tubes,..anyway, hope you like it! The cable stops are simple, useful and lightweight :xBanana5:
Cat 1

Postby skimons » Wed May 25, 2011 10:21 am

good stuff! did you drill the cable holes after the tubes were finished? great work on the dropouts, too.. looks a little faible (weak, instable!?) to me, but i trust you will glue everything with some more carbonfibre reinforcements...

cheers!
skimons
Cat 4

Postby ... » Wed May 25, 2011 10:53 am

Thanks! Yes, I drill the holes and laminated the cable stops,.. I will make some more reinforcements in the inside of the tube etc.,.. But compared to other internal cable stops this hole was very small.

About the dropouts, I still have to make some new one. Till now I experimented quite a lot with those dropouts and after all the work I still have to make the "final dropouts". Don't worry about the dropouts :wink: most of the dropout end will be in the tube and of course very reinforced.
Cat 1

Postby ... » Fri May 27, 2011 6:06 pm

And another combo... :wink:

Matte look:
400mm seatpost, <85kg, 31.6mm, <140g.

On the scale:

For a 300mm seatpost it would be SUB 120. Hope you like it!
Cat 1

Postby ... » Tue May 31, 2011 8:17 pm

Today I made some more work for the internal routing. First I had to in-laminate the small tubes for the instalation...and there are aslo some small changes. Instead of the plastic small tubes I get some ALU small tubes and rather use those ALU :thumbup:... The plastic one are only 0.8g/m lighter.

And some more carbon work...I made some more reinforcements in the inside of the tubes, also with some hybrid carbon/kevlar fibres. First I glued the small tubes in the inside and then I made the carbon work. I used some pressure to press the fabric to the walls of the tube...here just one quick photo just after I cut the pieces of fabric - you can see some UD carbon, hybrid carbon/kevlar and some BIAX -/+45 carbon.

Those pieces were only for the internal reinforcement for the small tubes and the cable stops..

As soon as I will make some more work I'll keep you updated. The next step will be gluing the front triangle... :wink:
Cat 1

Postby ... » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:38 pm

Only 488g at this moment 8)

After I will glue the BB I will make some better photos.. During the weekend I'll be racing abroad and will make some more progress after I come back home.
Just can't wait that I glue all the other tubes! Of course still quite a lot of work to do on the surface, and of course I'll have to reinforce all the joints... But till now I'm really happy with the resoults - today I also made the carbon work for the new dropouts, this time even with a few layers of carbon/kevlar hybrid.. :thumbup:

P.S. on the left you can see the ALU small tube for the cable routing.
Cat 1

Postby ... » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:56 pm

Hi!
I just glued the tubes together and here just some quick photos :mrgreen: of course still A LOT of work to do. All the reinforcements, details,...but anyway, hope you like it!

Berk PROTO-TYPE 3
..still in process..

The geometry is custom made, I have quite short legs for my 185cm (my saddle heigh is 75.5cm) and I made a seatpost with 74 degree and a bit longer frame. The headtube is 73.5 degree. On my sponsor bike I have quite a lot of offset and a 130mm stem because I ride "L" frame, to have a good position (of course without spacers)...anyway, I was able to do a few changes on the geometry for a perfect fit!

As on photos the frame has only 754g. But still quite a lot of work to do on the joints etc.,..I'll also have to cut the seatpost etc.,..and I will integrate a saddle on the ISP :wink: so that it will be a 100% custom made frame.. I'm really interested how much it will weight at the end (also with the saddle,..)! I really hope that I'll soon manage to make some more progress, but first I have to train for the Tour of Slovenia..Thanks for watching, I'll keep you updated!
Cat 1

Postby BMANX » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:13 pm

I am so glad that you have decided to go with the integrated saddle with the ISP. That is going to be great.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

Cervelo SLC 5890g/12.98lbs
BMANX
Cat 1

PreviousNext

Return to General cycling