Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Cub Scout Pinewood Derby Entries

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Cub Scout Pinewood Derby Entries

Postby slisk » Thu May 19, 2011 5:46 am

We are done with the big cars and now it is pinewood time. Since my FCL team sucks bad, I need to focus on another type of racing. Last year Jimmy won the thing with his older brother finishing 5th. Last year's Tamale Wagon (wife's entry) won the non scout division. All graphics are custom water decals we printed using Word and Photoshop. Here's a look at the cars.

Our only official entry - Jimmy's GT. He wanted to make the car look like the Ford GT LM Race Car from the Gran Turismo 5 game.

Tommy's Wrath of Zeus (he's into mythology) is entry #1 in the sibling race

This year's Tamale Wagon- Kalani's entry
I buy everything that JMT lists on this site.
slisk
Grand Tourer

Re: Cub Scout Pinewood Derby Entries

Postby dalai » Fri May 20, 2011 12:26 am

Nice! Is the body shape a standard or can you tinker with the aero properties?
dalai
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Fri May 20, 2011 3:24 am

Pinewood derby is all about properly tuning the axles and having them heavily lubed with graphite. The wheels need to be re-finished too. A fast car has (shockingly) nothing to do with aerodynamics. I know, it's just not right.

Those decals are SWEET! :banana:
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Boonen » Fri May 20, 2011 9:47 am

Looks like fun. I don't get it but like the Tamale wagon :lol:
What are the rules for these and how do the races work?
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby slisk » Fri May 20, 2011 11:27 am

Jeff is correct. Aero means almost nothing. A perfectly prepared block of wood could be competitive. The kids and I want them to look good, but ultimately a wedge shape with as low a center of gravity as possible has a track record of winning races. We cut the front away for looks but also to move the weight further back (potential energy). There is plenty of metal weights placed underneath the body. We wet sand the axles to 2500 grit sand paper and tune the wheels somewhat. Different packs have rules of their own. We cannot use liquid lube, change wheel base, use parts bought on line, and a few other things.

The Tamale Wagon race car is actually a very famous sprint car that has run on the west coast for many years in the California Racing Association (now defunct) It was owned by the Morales Bros. of Alex Foods who own a large Mexican food business. They even entered a few Indy 500 races many years ago. That's where I got the idea as it was one of my favorite cars to watch as a kid. Maybe they still run it at Perris Raceway in SoCal.

Our races include each car running 6 heats with the top cars moving to the finals for another 6 based on average times via electronic scoring. Here is a race from last year. Jimmy (lane 3) won all 12 races and other son Tommy (lane 5) finished 5th overall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=116UKXDQ6i4
slisk
Grand Tourer

Postby dalai » Sat May 21, 2011 3:01 am

Thanks for the details and video. As we don't have this here in Australia, this is all new to me and so appreciate the run down...
dalai
Cat 1

Postby Boonen » Sat May 21, 2011 8:31 am

:lol: I thought these things were the size of a skate board! Looks like good fun for the kids - and for the daddy's as well :wink:

I guess ceramic bearings are out of the question?
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby slisk » Sat May 21, 2011 5:27 pm

No bearings!! But I do use a few tricks. The left front wheels are raised 1mm and do not touch the track to reduce friction but you cant see it unless you are really looking.
slisk
Grand Tourer

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Tue May 24, 2011 12:19 am

Boonen wrote::lol: I thought these things were the size of a skate board! Looks like good fun for the kids - and for the daddy's as well :wink:

That's exactly what I was thinking until I watched the video. How cool is that! I don't think we have anything like it over here. Kids over here are too busy racing remote control cars (usually buggys). Not that I'm complaining as that's part of our business :D
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby slisk » Thu May 26, 2011 12:44 pm

Results are in and it was nearly a perfect day. Our official entry, Jimmy's GT finished 2nd. He was the only car to beat the winner in 2 heats but lost the other 4 in very close finishes. The margin was 0.005 seconds average time. They split the non scout races into two groups. Tommy's Wrath of Zeus easily won that group finishing 6-0. The Tamale Wagon also went undefeated and finished with the overall fastest time of all entries.
slisk
Grand Tourer

Postby slisk » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:27 pm

Fibre-Lyte wrote:
Boonen wrote::lol: I thought these things were the size of a skate board! Looks like good fun for the kids - and for the daddy's as well :wink:

That's exactly what I was thinking until I watched the video. How cool is that! I don't think we have anything like it over here. Kids over here are too busy racing remote control cars (usually buggys). Not that I'm complaining as that's part of our business :D

Hey Stephen, do you guys make carbon parts for 1/5 scale HPI Baja 5B cars?
slisk
Grand Tourer

Postby pritchet74 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:12 pm

That'd be so awesome.....
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby slisk » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:14 pm

Do you have a Baja Jeff?
slisk
Grand Tourer

Postby pritchet74 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:27 pm

Nope, cycling is an expensive enough hobby. Those are so badass though. Just like scuba diving those are a hobby I can't afford.
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby slisk » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:40 am

sell one of your kids. They're cute and should bring in top dollar! :)
slisk
Grand Tourer

Next

Return to General cycling