Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

The track topic

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: The track topic

Postby stumpytrunks » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:44 am

Gee that's a task and a half! Next time you're at Midvale have a look at Duanne mucking around. Only bloke I know that can go in a backwards circle with no hands. Brilliant.
Pain hurts
stumpytrunks
The Tassie Devil

Postby Cyco » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:21 am

Its just practice...

Only problem I'm facing atm is having the last 2 weeks off the bike with Tonsillitis, and the state titles in 2 weeks.

We had the Germans here for 3 weeks and their power system is amazing, and amazingly clean. The FES frames have a small plug under the BB and the LH crank looks to have strain gauges embedded in it. Not sure if the BB they are using is also proprietary, as the RH crank is a Dura-Ace Octalink track crank. For some strange reason they wouldn't give me all the details of the system...
If it fails just after the finish line it is over built. It should fail right on it to be the perfect weight
Cyco
Cat 3

Postby stumpytrunks » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:03 am

Any idea what the orange cranks were that cam was using? Pretty sure they're a new power measuring one too.
Pain hurts
stumpytrunks
The Tassie Devil

Postby Cyco » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:28 pm

Saw they where Orange, but didn't have time to take that much notice as I was working for the TV crew.

He should be riding the states so I'll have a look and ask then.
If it fails just after the finish line it is over built. It should fail right on it to be the perfect weight
Cyco
Cat 3

Postby Cyco » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:07 pm

Cam and Jack have decided not to ride the states, which was a disappointment, but I have found out they are 'InfoCranks'. Being developed in Perth, but I'll try and meet the guys there to find out more.

So far 2 events, IP (glacially slow) and kilo (1:15.3 - so not much faster) have given us 2 golds on the tandem, with sprint tomorrow night.
Cyco
Cat 3

Postby stumpytrunks » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:23 am

Sounds interesting. Thanks for snooping into it for me. Can't blame them though, gotta save themselves for papa's boxing day worlds :lol:
Pain hurts
stumpytrunks
The Tassie Devil

Postby Cyco » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:17 am

Well track nationals have come and gone, and after lots of sweating in Sydney, Sat was 40C and 90% humidity we came home with 2 silvers and a bronze from our 3 events.
Cyco
Cat 3

Postby Ypsylon » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:46 am

Wow, that's very impressing.

Great job.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby Ypsylon » Tue May 03, 2011 7:39 am

A noob question, is there a significant difference between a road and a track front wheel?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby dalai » Tue May 03, 2011 12:35 pm

No significant difference - I often use my Zipp 404 front or HED Stinger 90 front on the track, just using a bolt on skewer.

The main limitation is they have road tubulars glued as these wheels are used for TT's as well. Although the Vittoria EVO CX tyres are fast tyres according to Al Morrisons testing, they are not as fast as the best track tubulars will be on the boards. Talking tyres; make sure especially if racing on timber velodromes that they are suited. Some tyres (especially coloured tyres) are dangerous on wood!
dalai
Cat 1

Postby Ypsylon » Tue May 03, 2011 1:04 pm

That's good advice, but tarmac is all we got.

I'm thinking about building a set of three wheels for crits and track racing, one front and two rear ones, using KinLin tubular rims and a DA front and one road and one track rear hub. Tire choice will be a compromise, but on the track it's still just a lot of fooling around and I can allow myself to give up a bit on RR.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby stumpytrunks » Tue May 03, 2011 2:49 pm

Something like a cont sprinter would be good. You might as well have the same tyre on all three wheels, and you will need a puncture belted tyre for the road. The really lightweight ones like the vittoria corsa evo's are really too light for an asphalt track. The rear ones get worn out in no time at all. The same goes for the tt version of the same tyre...same thing but with a puncture belt: no meat on the tyre at all. Veloflex record would be a good one for asphalt tracks but might be a bit light for crits. Veloflex carbon may be a good way to go.
Pain hurts
stumpytrunks
The Tassie Devil

Postby Ypsylon » Tue May 03, 2011 5:47 pm

Ha, I picked up a Conti Sprinter to try the other day. I hear they are great crit tires and I'd have to ride my track bike to the track, too.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby stumpytrunks » Wed May 04, 2011 4:18 am

Great minds! If you are riding to the track make sure you put a lock ring (hope that's the same word you would use!) on the rear wheel. Stops your rear gear spinning off if you have to brake hard using your legs.
Pain hurts
stumpytrunks
The Tassie Devil

Postby Ypsylon » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:21 pm

I'm trying to put together something like an omnium for a buch of kids age 5-12.

We'll have a points race, maybe a flying 200, but I'd like to add some more "play-like" games.

Probably something based on balance, like a slow race, some one handed stuff or something like "last man standing"...

Any ideas?
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

PreviousNext

Return to General cycling