Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Bb30 help needed.

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Bb30 help needed.

Postby Gumgardner » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:53 am

My Ruegamer is a BB30. Ruegamer uses a carbon tube inside of the bb that is smaller than the part where the bearings sit. The bearings rest up against this inner tube. The width of the bb is 68mm. The bearing's Internal Diameter is slightly less than 42mm, so the bearings need to be pressed in to get a snug fit (it didn't come with bearings however). The inner tube diameter is approxiately the same size width as the THM bb30 adapter I'm trying to use, so i can't use this adapter unless if i sand a millimeter or so away from inner carbon tube. There is no metal insert in the bb. Its 100% carbon. I want to use the AX Morpheus compact crank. What are my options to get this crank to work with my frame? Sand the inside of the bb and use the THM adapter? Does this involve removing too much material (about 1mm all the way around)? Are there other options? The AX lightness site says the spindle is 30mm (doesn't that make it a bb30?) Are there any other bearings/adapters I could use to get the crank working with my frame?

Thanks
Gum
Gumgardner
Cat 2

Re: Bb30 help needed.

Postby andy2 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:37 am

Hi,

The Ax & the THM cranks have a 30mm axle with a BSA (86.5) spacing. The bearings will need to be moved out.
If the adapter from THM won't fit inside the frame I would try & machine away some material from the adaptor rather than risk the frame. Take some exact mea on the frame and send the adaptors over to me, I will have them machined by Mathias Hellöre - he owes me one:-)!
L'enfer, c'est les autres.
andy2
Cat 2

Re: Bb30 help needed.

Postby Gumgardner » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:19 pm

Andy... Once again you saved me. Thanks. I'll send u a pm.
Gumgardner
Cat 2

Return to General cycling