Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

C-4 CA 2.2SL

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

C-4 CA 2.2SL

Postby ttp » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:53 pm

I have a pair these and from day 1 the front wheel pulses under moderate to heavy braking. I'm running SR11 with stock pads. The brakes and wheels were new. I've tried to let the rubber deposit over the rim the last few months to see if this would help but it hasn't. Anything else I should try other than switching pads. I've cleaned the pad braking surface with some light soapy water and rinsed well. This doesn't work either. Anyone else have issues with Kinlins with SR11 pads?
ttp
Cat 4

Re: C-4 CA 2.2SL

Postby keithc » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:21 am

I have the same issue with my C-4 front wheel (C-4 FH55, CXRay, Kinlin 2.7 rim). I am using Swiss Stop green pads and the problem persists after nearly 800 miles riding. I read somewhere that the Koolstop Salmon pad reduces or eliminates this problem.
<...j'ai fini par deviner que quelques-uns d'entre les vieillards sucaient l'interieur de leurs joues et laissaient echapper ces clappements bizarres>
-Camus, 1942
keithc
Cat 5

Postby ttp » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:04 am

Update:

So I sent both my wheels back to C-4 for unrelated bearing issues and Mark ended up replacing my front wheel anyway. The pulsing is gone with this new wheel. I must say C-4 customer service is phenomenal.
ttp
Cat 4

Postby keithc » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:21 am

I absolutely agree about Mark and C-4 customer service: its superb! Due to a delay in manufacturing the rear hub I ordered a few months ago, C-4 gave me a free upgrade to the (as yet unreleased) RH 145SP. There was a problem of some sort with that pre-production hub, so I sent the wheel to him from Washington (State). He fixed the hub, rebuilt the wheel and then drove 100 miles to my sister's house in California (where I was visiting) to assure I had it on time for a ride. Later on, when I developed an axle problem with the FH55 (still not sure what caused that), Mark decided that, since these were my daily use wheels, the FH65 would be a better choice so he rebuilt the wheel (8 gram weight increase bringing the total for the set to ~1348 grams). Hard to beat that!
<...j'ai fini par deviner que quelques-uns d'entre les vieillards sucaient l'interieur de leurs joues et laissaient echapper ces clappements bizarres>
-Camus, 1942
keithc
Cat 5

Postby ttp » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:04 am

My front hub axle failed and I believe the bearings on the rear hub failed again. Quality of the hubs are suspect. This is my 2nd failure. But now I'm not getting much of a response from c-4 after I sent them my wheels a week ago. Are they still in business?
ttp
Cat 4

Postby ttp » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:37 am

Ha just spoke to Mark. More to come. Still in business.
ttp
Cat 4

Postby mdeth1313 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:22 am

I had a front hub issue w/ my 2.4usl wheel- axle broke and I shipped it back and he fixed it. When I started it using it again, the axle broke again after only a few rides and this time he just built up a new wheel and sent it out. Apparently there was an issue w/ the threads on the ends of the axles and this one has held up fine for almost 1000 miles. No rear hub issues and each time Mark was really quick in handling everything.
Words are like bullets, I let them pass through me.
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Postby ttp » Thu May 19, 2011 8:47 pm

I was told I had the same issue on the front hub with the threading on the end cap. All broken parts replaced. New bearings installed as a precaution. I was told the spacing of the free bub is was exact he added a spacer and replaced the bearing as a precaustion as well. I recieved my wheels back last week.
ttp
Cat 4

Postby ttp » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:53 pm

This last set only lasted a couple hundred miles before the front bearings failed. 4 failures in less than 1 year of ownership. Cycling Technology and C4 were accommodating. I returned the wheels for a refund. Kudos them, but it doesn't change my opinion that my 2.2 were not good wheels.
ttp
Cat 4

Postby chrisclimber » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:54 pm

my friend imported a load of hubs and wheelsets into the UK. Everything he sold came back with issues so he stopped selling them. Avoid.
chrisclimber
Cyclotourist

Return to General cycling