Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

di2 custom battery help

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

di2 custom battery help

Postby redfalcon » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:32 am

so I a little gun shy now that I blew a rear d, and wire harness.
so with that being said, I have spent hours on the forums and am still confused.

So I am using a tenergy battery Image

and want to splice into my interal di2 harness,
are the red and black off the shimano harness the same as the red and black on the tenergy?

Thank you for all your help
redfalcon
Cat 5

Re: di2 custom battery help

Postby colorchange » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:00 pm

I'm 98% sure that's what I did but I can pull my seat post and confirm to be 100% in a few hours.
colorchange
Cat 4

Postby pritchet74 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:12 pm

That's how I remember it too, but can't be 100% sure. There's a wiring diagram somewhere on this site.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby colorchange » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:56 am

Confirmed, black to black, red to red.
colorchange
Cat 4

Postby redfalcon » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:27 am

THank you so on an uncut harness that translates to the left and right holes on the plug?
(or top and bottom the way I'm holding it)
redfalcon
Cat 5

Postby colorchange » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:29 pm

I cut the wires and soldered directly rather than trying to enter the plug. The wires are colored inside the black sheathing.
colorchange
Cat 4

Postby voltavlt » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:54 am

Hello,

I have a very naive (or silly you might say) question regarding these kind of battery.

I can see two set of wires coming out of the battery : one with three wires (red/blue/black) linked to the white plug, and the other with two wires (red/black) connected to the yellow plug.
What are these for ?
Which one has to be linked to the DA DI2 system ?

Thanks in advance.
voltavlt
Cyclotourist

Postby goodboyr » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:51 pm

Big (yellowish white plug, two wires) is for sending power to the devices. Little white plug with three wires, is for connecting to a balancing charger. These lipo sticks consist of two cells, so the balancing charger has to connect to both cells (hence the three wires), to ensure each cell gets charged appropriately. If you don't do that, one cell can get "lazy" and one can get overcharged, leading to cell damage, and the potential for fire or explosion.
goodboyr
Cat 5

Postby voltavlt » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:20 am

Understood : thank you very much.
voltavlt
Cyclotourist

Postby Mike K. » Tue May 08, 2012 7:46 pm

Thought you battery hiders might be interested in this:http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/photos/sea-otter-2012-more-road-cross-and-mountain-bikes/221365
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Mike K.
Cat 1

Postby mgiaro » Wed May 23, 2012 12:26 pm

Mike K. wrote:Thought you battery hiders might be interested in this:http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/photos/sea-otter-2012-more-road-cross-and-mountain-bikes/221365

Ehiii...
got the FINAL idea for my mtb di2 project!!

And also solve the doubt about che electronic circuit that is inside the shimano original battery. So probably I can use the 4 cells of the video camcorder (broken... :( ) coupled (they look identical to shimano ones, same size, same voltage, etc).
Thank you all !!!
mgiaro
Cat 4

Return to General cycling