Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

SRM or Quarq?? Help Needed Please!

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

SRM or Quarq?? Help Needed Please!

Postby gogo419 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:43 am

Well i am looking to get into the powermeter game, and have decided to either go with an srm (dura ace 7900) or quarq cinq on rotor 3d cranks. I have been reading reviews etc... However cant really decide. I know Cervelo Test Team had many problems and ended the sponsorship with Quarq back in 2009. Have these problems been fixed and is it now on the same level as srm? (Plus i like the ability to change the batteries in crank myself.

I currently race in U23 at Australian Nationals etc.. SO reliability, accuracy and ability for good analysis is what i need.

If anyone who currently has or had a Quarq Cinq can provide Pro's and cons about it. It would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone know if Quarq power data can be analysed on SRM program? And could i use a power control 7 to record data?

The price isnt really a factor. (may just take a little longer till i can buy)

ANy info greatly appreciated.

Cheers Julian
gogo419
Cat 4

Re: SRM or Quarq?? Help Needed Please!

Postby pritchet74 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:08 am

I am a huge SRM fan, so I am completely biased, but you just can't go wrong with a SRM. Why use anything else? Seriously.

My understanding is that the new Quarq units are good, but you definitely can't use a PC7 with it. Also, you will want to get WKO+ as your software package and it will work with either power meter. Quarq can't be analyzed with the SRM software either.

Not sure if you can calibrate the Quarq units as easily as the SRM either. Just one of many reasons to go with SRM. But again, I am very biased. :wink:

I have a friend that raced with the Aussie National Team in Europe last year and she loves her SRM as well. Just sayin'.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Ypsylon » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:14 am

pritchet74 wrote:My understanding is that the new Quarq units are good, but you definitely can't use a PC7 with it. Also, you will want to get WKO+ as your software package and it will work with either power meter. Quarq can't be analyzed with the SRM software either.

I am not too sure about the Quarq-PC7 incompatibility. I actually think it does work, an e-mail to Quarq would let you know for sure.

I wouldn't be to set on WKO+ either, if your coach uses winSRM. I've seen experienced people do incredible things with winSRM, but for beginners the program and the lack of a manual are difficult to use, to say the least.

But if your coach now uses winSRM and it turns out you can't use the PC7, that would be a deal breaker, IME, and I'd go SRM for sure.

The battery change thing isn't as bad on the SRM as you'd think. It's not impossible to do at home and doesn't take longer than to true a wheel.

Calibration could be a problem, I think it can be done, I know some "geeks" have done it using an ANT+ dongle and some specific software and I think there will be an iPhone app at some point, but if you don't have one, the Quarq will not be any cheaper than an SRM.

When Pritch admits he has a strong bias in favour of SRM, I'll have to say the same about me and the Rotor crank, but the other way around. I just don't think they are that good of a crank and that after just stealing the design from a supposedly very good crank.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby gogo419 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:44 am

Ypsylon wrote:
The battery change thing isn't as bad on the SRM as you'd think. It's not impossible to do at home and doesn't take longer than to true a wheel.

Calibration could be a problem, I think it can be done, I know some "geeks" have done it using an ANT+ dongle and some specific software and I think there will be an iPhone app at some point, but if you don't have one, the Quarq will not be any cheaper than an SRM.

Thanks for the info. I must say i have been looking at the SRM for a long time know. Also been trawling on the UK TT forum and it seems as though you have to calibrate before every ride and even during with quarq!!! A long with connectivity problems in cold and hot weather, I think it is clear that i will buy an srm just a matter of time till i can afford one.
gogo419
Cat 4

Postby pritchet74 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:28 pm

Calibrating the SRM is easy. Very easy.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby dalai » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:59 am

gogo419 wrote:Also been trawling on the UK TT forum and it seems as though you have to calibrate before every ride and even during with quarq!!! A long with connectivity problems in cold and hot weather, I think it is clear that i will buy an srm just a matter of time till i can afford one.

You might be confusing calibration and setting zero offset.

Resetting zero offset is required prior to each ride (and recommended during if there is a large variation in temperature) to have the most accurate values.

Calibration is usually done during the battery/chainring change to remeasure the slope. This is not a daily task but is usually recommended to do once or twice a year. But once a SRM has aged a little usually there will be little variance with the slope if nothing is physically changed. The calibrating of the SRM can be done at home.

If you are limited as suggested by needing to provide SRM data to your coach then there isn’t much choice. Otherwise I must say I have heard many good things about the Quarqs now. There were comments early about some issues but they have been resolved.

The downside to the Quarq as I see it at this time is there is no service centre in Australia, so if have issues or you want to change chainrings frequently and don’t have the dongle / expertise / iPhone app it will have to be packed up and sent to the US.

SRM has a service centre in Australia and there are others who do work on SRM’s in the country. I use Raoul at http://www.luescherteknik.com.au/ here in Melbourne. I can drop off my SRM and get it back the next day if need be.

I am biased also to the SRM, but mainly due to Quarq not being available in Australia at the time I bought my first SRM. If you don’t mind wires, the wired SRM’s have come down quite a long way over the last couple of years. I now have 2 ½ SRM’s -3 cranks (SRM Pro on the road bike, FSA SRM on the TT bike and a Science model SRM track) plus two PCV’s all bought used but working fine.
dalai
Cat 1

Postby Juanmoretime » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:18 am

I have a Quarq and have had zero issues with it. As long as you do replace your rings with the same type of ring that is installed and properly torqued then recalibration is not necessary. Zero it is a simple 4 pedal turns backwards. Recalibrating is more detailed but the Quarqs hold their calibration very well and a battery swap takes about 10 seconds. Using the Quarq with a Garmin Edge 500 gives me all I need to train with power.

Go search Slowtwitch since there is a wealth of powermeter information there.
Last edited by Juanmoretime on Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
For my next trick I will set myself on fire!
Juanmoretime
Cat 1

Postby mattcooke » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:02 am

srm all the way.
mattcooke
Cyclotourist

Return to General cycling