Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

2008 Cervelo SLC

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: 2008 Cervelo SLC

Postby Soloist Assassin » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:00 am

Weighed it at the LBS today with the new brakes on, and other various additions. Image
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby pritchet74 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:10 am

How do you like the brakes? Do they work well?
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Soloist Assassin » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:19 am

I've only ridden it a short little 5mile ride with them so far. I live in Ohio, and it's crappy here right now. Rain one day, snow the next. Really annoying, so I am stuck riding my beater Trek in my basement. From my short ride however they seemed to work great. I had to get on the brakes hard, because some moron pulled out in front of me while I was doing 29mph. They worked well, as good as anything I've used, and it was my first time using Swissstop's yellow pads on carbon rims, which I am sure helped. I am at 155lbs right now myself so I don't need as much braking power as some.
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby Soloist Assassin » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:38 am

Update: I got 80miles in on the bike this last weekend. The brakes stop great with the Swissstop pads. I was using my Spinergy Stealth FCC carbon clinchers, not the 404 tubies, but the bike performed exquisitely. Today I took delivery of a Lightning crankset for this project with a Zipp BB. I'm shopping for chainrings now and then I will be installing it. I am thinking Fibre-Lyte will be the direction I head.
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby mdeth1313 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:19 pm

Soloist Assassin wrote: I am thinking Fibre-Lyte will be the direction I head.

hmmm, I wonder where that idea could have come from?
Words are like bullets, I let them pass through me.
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Postby Soloist Assassin » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:29 am

mdeth1313 wrote:
Soloist Assassin wrote: I am thinking Fibre-Lyte will be the direction I head.

hmmm, I wonder where that idea could have come from?

I've been thinking about them for months. I'm also thinking about Specialites TA chainrings. The Fibre-Lytes sure they are uber light, but I am not sold on their longevity, and probably won't be until I break down, and buy a set, and put a few thousand miles on them. I was as you know, also kicking around the idea of the rotor rings, but idk, they are heavy, and expensive. Those two things should never go together in cycling. For as much as they cost, and weigh, I better be able to wheelie up 20% grades on the 53-11 with a 90rpm cadence.
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby pritchet74 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:42 am

I have been using the FL rings for a year now and I like them. Sometimes the shifting to the big chainring hesitates a bit, but with no lift pins that's to be expected. The weight on 'em is amazing and they are sexy as hell. When the big ring wears out I will get another FL ring to replace it. Be sure to get some spacers though. My FL big ring was narrower than the FSA ring it replaced so I had to use some 0.5mm chainring spacers, otherwise when in the small-small combo the chain would hit the inside edge of the big ring.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Soloist Assassin » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:20 pm

New updated pic before today's race.

Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby pritchet74 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:12 am

Sexy as hell.

How did the race go? Come on - race report!
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Soloist Assassin » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:32 pm

Well it was a mid pack 17th of 42 finish for me. I got boxed when the lead group took off. I thought about chasing them down, but the 29 degree weather, with a strong headwind thwarted that idea. It's too early and cold for that crap. I could hardly breathe. It's gonna be a bit warmer this week, and a much harder course. I'll be hoping for a better result. I've decided I need to seize the moment, and counter attacks when they happen like that. No matter how much my body disagrees with that thinking.
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby Soloist Assassin » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:44 pm

7th today. Stayed with the lead group until 2 laps to go, then never got passed by anyone else. It was raining, and snowing, and generally sucked, but oh well. It was still fun I suppose, it would just be better with nicer weather. My legs were still fragged from Wednesday's leg press workout when I started. So all in all not a bad result.
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby pritchet74 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:08 am

Sounds like a very good result to me. :party:

Where are you located?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Soloist Assassin » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:33 pm

Ohio, I'm actually 10min from Mid Ohio Sportscar Course, if you follow auto racing at all. The race last week was on that road course ironically.
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby pritchet74 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:13 pm

Nice! Hopefully you get some good weather over there that will stick around.
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Soloist Assassin » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:52 pm

Well my SLC has reached it's final version. Not because I am done buying parts for it, but because it is being replaced with a S2 for warranty reasons as I discovered a crack in the top tube. I did however win the Cat 5 Ohio State RR Championship race on it. The 13.3lbs weight was much to my liking on the uphill sprint. I've since crashed in a crit, and broke my collar bone, and I am recovering well, and looking to return to racing very soon. The last additions were a set of FSA K-Wing bars, that a side from being much heavier than my old ones, I like them a lot. So with the added weight, I decided to get new bottle cages (New Ultimate), and a Parts of Passion top cap, to drop it down a bit. It was a really great bike, I can only hope my new S2 will be as good.

and here is one with my Crit bike. 2001 Trek 5200.

Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Previous

Return to General cycling