Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Help with Di2 1x10 Sprint Shifter wiring

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Help with Di2 1x10 Sprint Shifter wiring

Postby morrisond » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:30 pm

Hi,

I'm building a new cross/training bik(Custom painted C'Dale SuperX wth Front Derailleur mount removed - Calfee battery in the post) with a Di2 1x10 Drivetrain (48 Fiberlyte Carbon ring in the front - SRAM 11-32 XX Cassette in the back)

I'm Using Record Brake levers and am going to use 2 sets of the new Shimano Sprint Buttons (SW-7972). The first set will be mounted where the regular thumb buttons would be on Ergo Levers (I ride Campy normally) so I get a paddle shifter effect (left hand shift rear ring up - right hand down), I will cut a hole in the side of the hoods so they poke out. The other set will be mounted under the tops for climbing.

I'm going to use the SM-EW79A-I front TT wiring harness as it already has the junction to accept commands from two sets of RD shifters.

Can i just cut off the FD wiring just before it enters the Control Box, and shrink wrap it, or should I keep the whole FD wiring mess and just put dummy plugs on the ends?

I looks like the connectors on the SW-7972's will mate up with the SM-EW79A-I, so I won't have to splice. Is this right?
morrisond
Cat 4

Re: Help with Di2 1x10 Sprint Shifter wiring

Postby pritchet74 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:57 pm

You could just cut it off. It's essentially the same thing anyway - just wires that aren't connected to anything.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby morrisond » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:53 pm

Thank you.

So am I right in assuming that the sprint shifters will plug right into the front TT harness and work?
morrisond
Cat 4

Postby pritchet74 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:28 am

I would assume so, but Madcow might need to chime in as it's been a while since I have seen the stock Shimano connectors. I would assume that the connectors on the road levers are the same as on the TT levers, but I don't remember for sure. I don't use the Shimano levers with my Di2 setup and my hair started going grey a couple years back, so my memory isn't what it used to be.

Or if you can find a good pic online somewhere to show the TT front wiring harness and the road front harness perhaps that will tell you?

I have to say it though - why don't you just make your own buttons? There is so much $$$ to be saved that way. If you can splice the wires together yourself, of course.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby morrisond » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:57 pm

I found the Shimano Tech docs on the two and it looks like they will just plug in, so I'll probably go that route.

I'm happy to pay for the Shimano parts if I don't have to cut everything up.

Thanks.
morrisond
Cat 4

Return to General cycling