Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Fred Johnson magnesium clinchers

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Re: Fred Johnson magnesium clinchers

Postby pritchet74 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:29 am

That's so awesome. Why not use lighter hubs though? Just askin'.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby über-goober » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:21 pm

Sorry my winky emoticon must have failed me.. yes the plan is for a lot more than 'display use' and to go rail these in the mountains.

And a big yes to a build on lighter hubs. Maybe if we've got a black finish worked out to try for sub-850g w/ Extralite or Dash hubs + Super Spokes.
the problem? could be the nut behind the handlebars.
über-goober
Cat 2

Postby pritchet74 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:38 pm

Now that sounds completely awesome. :banana:
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby über-goober » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:04 pm

I found a picture of one of the machines Mavic has used to drill rims:
mavic-rim-driller.JPG
über-goober
Cat 2

Postby über-goober » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:29 pm

Some progress on the rims. :lol: I've got the front all built up and right now i'm putting together the rear.
mags7-11_2.jpg

This front wheel is 468g on an Alchemy ELF with 24 CX-Rays and alloy nipples. The rear will be 650g on a 28h Alchemy, but i may go lighter on the hub. This set will come to 1118g - but the thought of 1070-ish grams on a Tune hub is compelling. More to come..

I've found it takes quite a bit of patience to get the seams done up properly. I had thought the cuts looked really straight, but then when I'm ready to put in the sleeve and JB Weld 'em up there's still that little bit of daylight visible. Here's what the view looks like.. with an hour more careful filing needed:
mags7-11_1.jpg

The front rim was acceptably round but the area by the seam is a little flat. Maybe I will get better at it, but I've seen some stock rims that were worse than my efforts in my garage. :lol: Going to 90kgf of tension made little bulges around the spoke holes, just like old school tubulars always did. It's cool to have these hit the road finally.. The plan is to go ride them and just keep an eye on things.
über-goober
Cat 2

Postby jorjastandish » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:51 am

This really helped me a lot!:D Thanks!
We have to try payday advance loan. Check this site out.It's all about affiliate marketing.
jorjastandish
Cyclotourist

Postby über-goober » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:51 am

Delays for the sake of lighter and cooler..

Stripping and polishing a Tune 170.
tune170-1.jpg

This stuff works great. 10 minutes and then a quick once-over with a scotchbrite pad, then through all steps for polishing it up.

tune-170-169g.jpg

tune-170-1.jpg

tune_mag170.jpg

Next will be building these up on Sapim Superspokes. I'm considering drilling the rim beds to go for sub-1000g.
über-goober
Cat 2

Postby rlpaul » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:48 pm

The hub turned out awesome! How much time did that take? Aside from the 10 minutes in the solution :)
rlpaul
Cat 2

Previous

Return to General cycling