Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

SwissStop GHP II - New version of the green compound

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

SwissStop GHP II - New version of the green compound

Postby UNCrayburn » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:19 pm

Has anyone used SwissStop's new green (GHP II) brake pad compound? Allegedly, it is designed to last longer than the original green (GHP) compound.

I've been using the original black compound because it was reported to last longer than the original green, but I'm thinking about switching to the green if the new compound lasts longer. Should I just switch to the green compound for its performance?

For reference, I'm (still) using Zero G's. Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions.
- UNCrayburn
UNCrayburn
Cat 2

Re: SwissStop GHP II - New version of the green compound

Postby Ypsylon » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:58 pm

I've used up my old greens last fall, used whatever I could find cheap over the winter and have the GHP II here ready to go.

So I obviously can't tell you if they last any longer, but the EE/SS green combo has been my favourite combo by far.

If you are not turning every penny around, I think nice brake pads are well worth it, especially with a brake like the 0G.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby pritchet74 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:12 pm

Has anyone ever worn out a set of SS brakepads? I don't think that I have ever worn out a set of pads in my life. Then again, I change my equipment a lot, so maybe that's what's going on...
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby UNCrayburn » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:17 am

Thanks for the input, Ypsylon. I was thinking nicer brake pads might help the Zero G, too.

I've worn out one set of SS original blacks, and my current set of original blacks is on their last legs. Thus, the question about the new GHP II compound. I wore out plenty of Shimano pads before getting the Zero Gs. I don't change my equipment around quite as much as you pritch. :)
- UNCrayburn
UNCrayburn
Cat 2

Postby pritchet74 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:19 am

UNCrayburn wrote:I don't change my equipment around quite as much as you pritch. :)

I can't really think of anyone else that does. But in my old age I have really slowed down a bit. :wink:
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby slisk » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:08 am

pritchet74 wrote:Has anyone ever worn out a set of SS brakepads? I don't think that I have ever worn out a set of pads in my life. Then again, I change my equipment a lot, so maybe that's what's going on...

Never...I'm going so slow (and mostly in the flats) that I rarely touch the levers anyhow. I use the yellow SS ZG combo but will get rid of these brakes when I need to actually stop in the Colorado mountains.
I buy everything that JMT lists on this site.
slisk
Grand Tourer

Postby Juanmoretime » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:34 am

I'm going on two years and about 15,000 miles on the original pads that came with my Gravitas. BTW appear they have much more life yet. I used SwissStoop green when I ran the KCNC CB-1 and loved the performance and didn't experience much wear there. Unlike Pritch I have worn out Koolstop for carbon rims pads. I found they wear rapidly but also brake better with carbon rims better than any other pad I have used.

I might be nuts but I'm considering removing the Gravitas and trying a pair of KCNC C7's. :shock: I'm very pleased with the Gravitas but maybe bored?
For my next trick I will set myself on fire!
Juanmoretime
Cat 1

Postby HammerTime » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:35 am

UNCrayburn wrote:For reference, I'm (still) using Zero G's..

What about the Pro VT-1's?
HammerTime
Cat 1

Postby UNCrayburn » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:31 pm

HammerTime wrote:
UNCrayburn wrote:For reference, I'm (still) using Zero G's..

What about the Pro VT-1's?

Sold the Pro VT-1's a while ago. Our family finances haven't been doing so hot lately (to which I'm sure some others can relate). If the marginal profit weren't so small, the Zero G's would have followed the Pro-VT1's. Anyway, that's why I'm looking at the green compound not yellow.
- UNCrayburn
UNCrayburn
Cat 2

Postby pritchet74 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:19 pm

Juanmoretime wrote:I'm going on two years and about 15,000 miles on the original pads that came with my Gravitas. BTW appear they have much more life yet. I used SwissStoop green when I ran the KCNC CB-1 and loved the performance and didn't experience much wear there. Unlike Pritch I have worn out Koolstop for carbon rims pads. I found they wear rapidly but also brake better with carbon rims better than any other pad I have used.

I forgot about that. I had a set of the Koolstop carbon pads (just like the old Zipp pads) and I wore thru half the pad (no joke) in less than a week. Those pads sure sucked. I honestly don't think that I will ever make it thru a set of SS pads though.
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby UNCrayburn » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:30 pm

I can confirm that SwissStop's green pad compound makes a difference in the overall performance of Zero Gs. Took them out for a first spin this morning and was impressed. Enough so that I may further delay the acquisition of a new set of brakes to replace the Zero G's. Thanks everyone for the recommendation, and thanks to Fairwheel Bikes for sending me the brake pads so quickly.
- UNCrayburn
UNCrayburn
Cat 2

Postby sjubbis » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:45 pm

Had the seasons first couple of trips this weekend, about 120 km in dry conditions. Have installed the green GPHII to replace the stock red pads on my C7's. No complaints, stoppingpower more than good enough (am about 185 lbs). Checked the conditions after the trip today, virtually no sign of wear so far :)
sjubbis
Cat 4

Return to General cycling