Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Berner Order Help

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Berner Order Help

Postby rhane » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:10 pm

I'm trying to figure out how to place an order with Berner and pay for it, but don't speak german and have been unsuccessful at contacting them via email. Does anyone have experience dealing with this company or suggestions on how to get in contact with them? I read somewhere in another post that they offer a service where I may be able to send in my derailleurs for the pulley upgrade, can someone explain to me how this would work (obviously I'd need a way to contact them to pay and let them know I was shipping them parts.) I really appreciate the help.
rhane
Cat 5

Re: Berner Order Help

Postby Ypsylon » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:08 pm

Have you tried info@berner-bikes.com?

I know they used to offer that service but couldn't find it anymore on their website.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby rhane » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:57 pm

Yes, info@berner-bikes.com is the email address I've been trying without luck. Does anyone know if this is a small company (i.e. one where when someone goes on vacation the email stops being read?)
rhane
Cat 5

Postby Ypsylon » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:07 pm

I don't know how small they are exactly, but they are definetly not large. It's absolutely possible the guy that reads the English e-mails isn't working this week and so you are out of luck for now.

What kind of RD do you have. I'm not sure, but I think Fibre-Lyte were thinking about offering something similar, at least for Shimano? If you have no progress to report in two weeks, let me know.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby rhane » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:18 pm

Thanks for the help. I'm on a SRAM Red RD, and if another company would offer something similar I'd be interested so long as the durability was up to par. I'll let you know if I don't hear back.
rhane
Cat 5

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:41 pm

what were you hoping to get from Berner when you say a 'pulley upgrade'? I've seen their full custom enclosed aero sets and it's not something we've considered at the moment (lack of demand the primary reason) but we do offer pulleys and an inner mech plate already.

As for their email, I've never tried contacting them so can't help there, sorry.
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby Ypsylon » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:00 pm

I'd think people buy the Berner RD to get the 15t lower pulley, which should make the drivetrain more efficient.

For that you need the appropriate size cage and, you guessed it, a 15t pulley.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:26 pm

A 15t lower pulley can be run with most medium or long cage mechs I think, the only thing that gets in the way is the lower chain jump stop on the inner alloy plate. We've done a few carbon inner plates to suit a 15t pulley already and of course, we can do a 15t pulley.

I'm not convinced with the practical side of switching to a 15t lower pulley though. The theory (about drivetrain efficiency) is fine, but how much of a difference it makes in practice, I wouldn't like to say.
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby rhane » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:01 pm

What alloy pulleys does Berner use and do they manufacturer their own? My interest in the "upgrade" is really just some bling so long as it'll be functionally equivocal. I don't know much about carbon pulleys, but I would like to know more about how resilient they are and how long they last? My lean towards Berner was really because of the alloy pulleys, so if you can provide more information about carbon vs alloy and what I could expect from a 13/15t pulley setup from a functional point of view I'd appreciate it. Again, to clarify, whether the 13/15t provides 0.5-1% reduction in drag is - to me - not going to make any real differences in how I ride, but I do like the idea of using something a little different and that's why I was looking into the Berner RD.
rhane
Cat 5

Postby geoff » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:45 pm

Don't worry about the German. Timo's daughter does his translating. She is 12!
geoff
Cat 4

Return to General cycling