Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

New Kcnc C6 and C7 Brakes

Re: New Kcnc C6 and C7 Brakes

Postby sjubbis » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:11 pm

Thanks Ypsylon!
sjubbis
Cat 4

Postby Gearjunkie » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:43 am

I'd recommend going to Shimano dura ace 7900 pads for best braking power, availability and price.

Cheers

GJ
Gearjunkie
Cat 5

Postby sjubbis » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:40 pm

Anyone experienced problems with the C7's not releasing properly after you brake? damn annoying... SPecially with the front brake, could it be such a simple solution as to widen out the spring a little?

And, any good tips on how to get the brakes to sit tight, so that one don't have to be truing them after every trip... ? Just don't want to glue them to the frame with locktite or such...

Other than that, after this seasons first couple of rides (dry conditions):
Stopping power more than good enough, although got rid of the red stock pads and replaced with new SwissStop GPHII green. And I am a fairly heavy rider.
Loving the weightreduction and the looks of them!
sjubbis
Cat 4

Postby Ypsylon » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:43 pm

sjubbis wrote:Anyone experienced problems with the C7's not releasing properly after you brake? damn annoying... SPecially with the front brake, could it be such a simple solution as to widen out the spring a little?

Did you happen to squeeze the caliperes by hand without a cable installed? Often this problem is related to excessive fricton between the housing and the cable, but in the case of the front caliper it would be surprising. Is it a regular road or a TT bike? Internal rounting in the handlebar? Did you file open the ends of the housing?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby sjubbis » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:50 pm

Haven't done anything to them without cables installed... Regular road bike (cannondale), controltech comp bars with internal routing. I'll try filing open the ends and replace the brake cable I think, hopefully that'll help. Thanks! :)
sjubbis
Cat 4

Postby sjubbis » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:08 pm

still having to properly clean out and "widen" the springs after every 3-4 ride, to get the brakes to release properly from the rims. designfault maybe... ?
sjubbis
Cat 4

Postby Ypsylon » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:37 am

I can't speak for the C7s specifically, but in general I've observed that as the parts become lighter the maintainance cycles become shorter and you have to be extra careful with setting everything up.

Often parts are lighter because they are designed closer to the borderline of what the parts will encounter, I'd guess that most aftermarket calipers don't work as well with internal cable routing. Go to a triathlon forum, every other thread is about their brakes not returning properly, because they have internal routing and low positions, which causes tight bends.

I see how having to maintain a certain part every 3-4 rides can be annoying, but it's far from what I would call a design fault, personally. If you want a little more time between cleaning, I'd really look into your housing, make sure the ends where you cut it is perfect, put in a little Brunox every once in a while and pay attention that the housing lenght is just right.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Previous

Return to Reviews