Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Aftermarket Rings for Vuma Quad?

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Aftermarket Rings for Vuma Quad?

Postby Snoop PP » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:15 am

Hi all,

It's been a while since i was here (under my old username of Paul FP - couldnt find any details so i created a new account) - hope you're all keeping well. :toppie:
Anyway, been running Vuma Quads on my bike for a couple of years now and just snapped a 39t inner ring. Now, while i'm no 100kg rider, i do have reservations on the design of Zipp's normal sized rings for the compact spider and wondered if, in my long term absence from the forum, has there been any trick, reliable, aftermarket release from anyone of Vuma Quad compatibly rings?

Any thoughts appreciated - though maybe dont tell me to ditch the cranks, as i quite like them! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Snoop PP on Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you're the first one to attack, you reserve the right to be the first one to get dropped.
- Andy Schleck
Snoop PP
Cat 5

Re: Aftermarket Rings for Vuma Quad?

Postby Juanmoretime » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:13 am

Hi Paul, Another very satisfied VumaQuad user here. I wore out a set in about two years and replaced them with the standard Zipp rings. I've had zero issues. Next time around I will go Fibrelyte rings for sure.
For my next trick I will set myself on fire!
Juanmoretime
Cat 1

Postby BMANX » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:45 pm

This is the only way to go when getting new rings.

BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

Cervelo SLC 5890g/12.98lbs
BMANX
Cat 1

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:57 pm

It's interesting that I've never seen much in the way of aftermarket Vuma quad rings other than ours. For that matter, Zipp don't offer much variation in their range of chainrings for that crank set. I wonder if they regret the odd bolt pattern choice? I wonder what the sales figures are like? Despite the idiosynchrocies I still think it's a great crankset.
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby BMANX » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:01 pm

You like the crankset because your rings look so damn hot on my cranks.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

BMANX
Cat 1

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:46 pm

How could I argue with that! :D 8) 8-)
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby Snoop PP » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:29 am

GOOD GOD! They are incredible!
just had a quick look on the site, Fibre-Lyte - you mention you dont see the Ceramic type lubricants as suitable - can you please elaborate on the reasons why, as that's the best lube i've used for our conditions over here.

Sorry if that's a somewhat naive question and i dont mean to be disrespectful in questioning why.
It may be a very good reason the change my choice of lubricant! :applause:
Thanks
If you're the first one to attack, you reserve the right to be the first one to get dropped.
- Andy Schleck
Snoop PP
Cat 5

Postby Juanmoretime » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:18 am

Change lubes? "Looks so hot on my crank"! Where is this site going? Plus it doesn't count without pictures. :applause:
Juanmoretime
Cat 1

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:09 pm

Snoop PP wrote:just had a quick look on the site, Fibre-Lyte - you mention you dont see the Ceramic type lubricants as suitable - can you please elaborate on the reasons why, as that's the best lube i've used for our conditions over here.

Sorry if that's a somewhat naive question and i dont mean to be disrespectful in questioning why.

Not disrespectful at all, in fact, a good question :D . I'll give you my best understanding of why we don't recommend it. A little while ago, a long standing customer of ours used this lubricant on his latest time trial chainring and noticed that it created excessive wear on our chainrings. This is a customer who has used our chainrings for years with a variety of lubricants (including other finish line products) with no problems at all. Our understanding of the way the the ceramic lube works is the reason why it doesn't work with carbon chainrings. For standard alloy chainrings I believe that the nano ceramic particles are supposed to penetrate the surface of the alloy chainring and create a sort of ceramic coating. That's fine with alloy chainrings, but carbon is as hard as ceramic and so instead of the ceramic particles penetrating, it simply wears against the carbon and instead of providing a protective layer it wears the chainring faster.

We did contact Finish Line about the lubricant at the time but I believe that they couldn't come up with a good reason for why it was happening (probably due to lack of experience with carbon chainrings?)

It did also make me wonder what the effects of that lubricant on chainrings with a ceramic hard coating as standard would be such as the Stronglight CT2?

For the record, that is the only lubricant that we know of that isn't great with our chainrings and in fact, our chainrings require very little or no lubricant at all (due to the smooth platelet nature of graphite/carbon). Obviously, the chain still requires lubricant :wink:
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby Snoop PP » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:32 pm

Thank you for the detailed explanation Fibre Lyte - certainly cleared up my question and i agree with the theory, now it's been explained.
Ok, so i've just replaced the Zipp ring that was damaged as a short term measure but will be in touch over the coming months to get some CF ones from you. :applause:
- Andy Schleck
Snoop PP
Cat 5

Postby BMANX » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:05 pm

I have Fibre-Lyte on every build that I have and a new custom ring in the works for a single speed. You just can not go wrong with these awesome CF rings.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

BMANX
Cat 1

Postby Snoop PP » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:53 am

Thanks for the input BMANX - i'm certainly gonna try them.
At risk of asking the same old cliche'd question...... how do you find the durability? How do they hold up to wear and tear in varying weather conditions? Now we've established which lubes NOT to use, are there any other considerations? Do you need to be 'delicate' with gear changes etc?

Again, sorry if these questions seem negative - they arent intended to. I absolutely love the look of the rings - simply have no experience of the material for drivetrain applications so am just keen for enlightenment! feedback such as yours, as well as the expalnations from Fibre Lyte, are only strengthening my understanding.
- Andy Schleck
Snoop PP
Cat 5

Postby Juanmoretime » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:13 am

While my ring was a single ring 53 time trial ring, no shifting up front, I spent two whole seasons on it of training and racing without any noticeable wear on the teeth. The ring did run freakishly quiet. I'm considering a ring and rear cog for my 29er singlespeed besides a set for my VumaQuads.
Juanmoretime
Cat 1

Postby williamsf1 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:05 am

5000km on the rings and are the best thing ever on a Di2 bike!!!!
williamsf1
Cat 3

Postby williamsf1 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:06 am

williamsf1
Cat 3

Next

Return to General cycling