Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Which bike?

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Which bike?

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:12 pm

Anyone recognise this bike? It's our chainring and must be quite new with the AX crank but I can't work out which of our customers it belongs to and I'll love the bike if the rest is as good as the photo below.
Attachments
2.jpg
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Re: Which bike?

Postby Matteo » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:20 pm

I saw that picture in the AX Morpheus Crankset thread on weightweenies. The bike seems to belong to user "cmh". Maybe you can pm him on ww?
Matteo
Cat 3

Postby FAQinc » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:55 am

Looks like a Ti Cross frame hence the single small chainring but 10speed chain Moots comes to mind maybe a a custom Van Nicholas, or Linksey?
Flatulence for men the musk that lingers.
FAQinc
Cat 2

Postby Boonen » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:34 am

His Moots is still one of the nicest bikes I've ever seen! If this is his bike as well I'd be curious to see more myself :D
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:23 pm

It is his bike, I've just received a pm from him saying it's not yet fully built, waiting on some other parts. Thanks for the tip Matteo :wink:

FAQinc, are you sure about the cross frame? The tyres don't look to have enough tread for a cross bike and speedplay pedals on a cross bike? He didn't mention what frame it was so I thought it would be more fun trying to guess :D
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby FAQinc » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:32 am

@Fibre-Lyte I guess you're right after doing some link clicking research it is a road frame but the chainring size is still puzzling? Why would you go 1x10 on a standard Road bike, maybe for MTB's but on a Road Bike? If my presumptions are correct it should be a Vamoots SL.
FAQinc
Cat 2

Postby Boonen » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:35 pm

The badge on the downtube might give it away? Not sure what it is but I'm fairly sure I've seen these before.
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:36 pm

The waiting is over, I've got a picture :D

There's an AX saddle and seatpost to be added but other than that, it's done, and very nice it is too! 8)
Attachments
moots.jpg
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby cmh » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:44 pm

Hello everyone...yes, that is my bike. I'm happy to answer any questions...it's a Vamoots SL 6/4 tubing. I went with a 1x10 as I wanted something for just climbing repeats. I live in San Francisco...lots of hills and just wanted something fun with no need for a 50t as on some of my rides for repeats I rarely even shift the rear der. It's a 33t fibre-lyte front ring. I'm probably going to get a lighter frame at some point soon and return the Moots to "normal". :)

Here it is from a few years ago..."before"
cmh
Cyclotourist

Postby cmh » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:02 pm

BTW - my original plan was actually a 1x6, DT shifters and only 1 brake but I came to my senses...somewhat. :)
cmh
Cyclotourist

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:25 pm

I like both versions but for me, the 1x10 version looks a lot better. Just a personal observation :wink:
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby Boonen » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:29 pm

Welcome on board cmh :D That's the bike I was referring to earlier, classic beauty! To bad you changed it like this but then again, if it's more fun to ride then why not.

Are you using an 11s rear derailleur with 10s shifters?
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby cmh » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:11 pm

Thanks Boonen! Like I said, I think I'm going to convert it back but go with 11spd...I enjoy riding the Moots on long rides and the gearing obviously isn't right for rolling on flats for too long. I think I'm going to move all this to an Addict R1...should come in around 9.5lbs by my math. The rear derailleur is actually 10spd. :D
cmh
Cyclotourist

Postby dunlinii » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:44 pm

That is nice craftsmaship.
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby FAQinc » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:04 pm

@cmh great bike your location does explain the gearing choice as one of the few people to have a Ax crankset what are your thoughts? Anything other than it's stiff and looks nice?
FAQinc
Cat 2

Next

Return to General cycling