Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

break away tandem

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

break away tandem

Postby Ypsylon » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:47 pm

Does anybody know if there is a tandem that you can take apart, like the ritchey break-away?

I mean, I guess tandems are fun, but the thought of getting it down and around the corner into the basement makes me cringe.

Then, I'm not sure if the compartment is even long enough to fit one.

The forces acting on a tandem must be huge, so it's probably difficult and heavy to get the couplers right, but I'm not thinking track sprinting, more JRA.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Re: break away tandem

Postby madcow » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:35 am

madcow
Dork Overlord

Postby slisk » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:33 am

I know that Bohm has made them.
I buy everything that JMT lists on this site.
slisk
Grand Tourer

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:30 pm

There are quite a few companies offering tandems with couplings for transportability these days, I think Santana are one of the more notable ones but for something a bit different
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby Ypsylon » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:58 pm

slisk wrote:I know that Bohm has made them.

Looks like you're right.

Nice option Stephen, but the captain likes the Calfee better.

Thinking about tandems I remembered this

madcow wrote:This one happened in our own shop, a campus shop at the UofA.

One of our regulars is in the store. He's blind and is the stoker on a tandem. He has his dog next to him as he's trying on helmets. When he leaves one of the "higher education" students asks the guy behind the counter how a blind guy can ride a bike. The guy behind the counter says that "he rides on the back of a tandem"..... The girl accepts that, but then starts to look really confused. After a minute she leans over the counter and quietly asks the salesman in all sincerity, "how does the dog steer the bike?"
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:17 pm

The Calfee is nice, but the colour scheme is a little pale for my liking. They do look good with Edge wheels and a nice deep purple paint though.

I quite like this one

Bear in mind, that whatever your choice, tandems are never cheap!
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Return to General cycling