Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

NEw Black Red

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

NEw Black Red

Postby quick_step » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:09 pm

Sram Red.jpg
is this something new ?
Put some fun betwen yer legs
quick_step
Cat 3

Re: NEw Black Red

Postby dunlinii » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:11 pm

I haven't seen it before, looks cool, but then again, I don't know much.
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby Ypsylon » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:46 pm

It's like the yellow edition they did. It's still Red, just black.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby Gumgardner » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:05 pm

I'm confused. They need to pick a color and go with it :)
Gumgardner
Cat 2

Postby BMANX » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:29 pm

They are sort of doing what they did with the X9 in their MTB range. Give the consumer some color choices which I think it great. Not a huge leap from the Tour edition stuff but it is nice to have some choices on color. Campy and Shimano have never really done this. I will be getting one of the RD's for sure to match up to my bike build.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

Cervelo SLC 5890g/12.98lbs
BMANX
Cat 1

Postby Ypsylon » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:49 pm

Gumgardner wrote:I'm confused. They need to pick a color and go with it :)

It's definetly confusing in English, in German, where "Red" is only the name and has no additional meaning it's easier to handle. I guess it would be good to paying attention to writing Red with a capital R when speaking about the group and not the color.

I wonder if it wouldn't be lighter and cheaper to tune the heck out of a Rival RD, which is black, too.

Then again, if you tune a Red RD in the same way, that would most likely be lighter, again.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby dunlinii » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:33 pm

Do you think they will do a red Red?
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby HammerTime » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:40 pm

Ypsylon wrote:It's like the yellow edition they did. It's still Red, just black.
Now you can get the black derailleur of champions. Err, wait, that would be the yellow derailleur of champions. Well, it would have been the derailleur of a champion if it hadn't derailled and cost him the victory - but it probably wouldn't hae derailled if it had been black, err yellow. Err wait, that would actually be the yellow spoke of champions. Conclusion, SRAM needs to start making wheels ... or at least spokes - then they can produce the yellow spoke of champions - that is if they can produre the rights from Lew - maybe appeal to the Lew bankruptcy judge.
HammerTime
Cat 1

Postby Ypsylon » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:42 pm

:lmao:
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby FAQinc » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:24 pm

I guess they are stalling as much as possible and then give us a hydraulicly electric/beltdriven disc brake road groupset and then give us colour choices for the next 10 years!
Flatulence for men the musk that lingers.
FAQinc
Cat 2

Postby dunlinii » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:47 pm

Hammertime, you should be on stage!!
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby HammerTime » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:17 am

I just remembered, SRAM does make wheels under the Zipp brand. So where's Ypsylon's yellow spoke of champions?

Actually, I just did a little research on the yellow spoke of champions. I really had associated the sarcastic reaction to Lew's yellow spoke of champions to Ypsylon. However, I have found that lancejohnson posted humorous/sarcastic commentary on the Lew yellow spoke of champions back on January 27, 2007 in this post http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... ns#p253370
lancejohnson followed it up om February 13, 2007 with this http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... ns#p259911 , which also features a contribution by jerisievers. http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... ns#p259964
Then there was this somewhat humorous thread involving the now infamous lewracingvp, a.k.a., Lee Vaccaro http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... ns#p304649
The first, and funniest Ypsylon involvement appears to date back to July 26, 2007 with me piling on in the fun in what is one of the funniest WW threads of all time, "Lew Wheel Testing", by alienator which you should read in its entirety http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... ns#p317081
Ypsylon had gone on to such gems as http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... ns#p581660
I attempted to pay homage to Ypsylon with this post from July 2, 2010 in the ultra-rigidly moderated Tour de France Topic thread, which post was deleted by the mods, but I preserved it via PM to Ypsylon .
HammerTime2 wrote:In The Tour de France Topic on Thursday night in response to a posting with this picture
Hammertime2 wrote:Image
Shouldn't that be SRAM yellow?

The only thing they're missing is the yellow Spoke of Champions.

So I had forgotten that Ypsylon was not the pioneer of the sarcastic remarks about the yellow spoke of champions - he wasn't the first, but he was, and still reigns supreme, as the the king of the yellow spoke of champions satire. Of course this thread, is but another outgrowth of his pioneering work.
HammerTime
Cat 1

Postby HammerTime » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:37 am

P.S. There are plenty more funny threads and links which you can find by googling "yellow spoke of champions" http://www.google.com/search?client=fir ... gle+Search including this thread culminating at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6140&start=13 , but please start from the beginning.

Well now, I find that actually peterpen beat lancejohnson by 5 hours and 28 minutes with critical, though not really sarcastic, commentary on the yellow spoke of champions in this thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2348 , which also features a picture of a Lew Pro-VT1 with the yellow spoke of champions.
HammerTime
Cat 1

Return to General cycling