Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Speedplay X series pedals lighter than Nano's 1/2 the price

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Speedplay X series pedals lighter than Nano's 1/2 the price

Postby BMANX » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:12 am

I have been playing with my X2's for a long time now and have been able to get the weight down to 126g for the pair and with stock bolts holding the butterflies on. I will be getting some ti bolts in the very near future and expect the final weight to come in at 124g for the pair which is 6g lighter and can be done for around $285 and here is how it can be done.

Competetive Cyclist Speedplay X2's brand new $185 - you should be able to get the cheaper for sure but this is just an example. I got a pair on Ebay for $100 new.

Ward Ti spindles $55 - I bought two pairs of these. One pair with a short spindle and a stock version.

Ti bolts $12 - Toronto Cycles or NJ Cycles on Ebay

Aluminum Butterflies $35 - Toronto Cycles or NJ Cycles on Ebay

It is just that easy. Now I know someone is going to say that the cleats are heavier on the X2's than the Nanograms and that is correct. I am just talking pedals here.

I think this is a great weight to shed a ton of weight on the Speedplay's and I am sure that you can do the exact say thing on the Zero's as well. I have been riding the X2's for ever so that is why I went that route having 3 pairs currently.

I hope this helps others looking to tune their Speedplays. I am a budget WW at heart so I am always looking at ways to do it as cheap as possible.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

Cervelo SLC 5890g/12.98lbs
BMANX
Cat 1

Re: Speedplay X series pedals lighter than Nano's 1/2 the pr

Postby pritchet74 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:33 am

Awesome. Nicely done! :cheers:
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Fuchs » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:25 pm

how much shorter are the short spindels?
nice report :)
Fuchs
Cat 2

Postby BMANX » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:32 pm

The Standard version is 76.2mm(55gr/set). The Short Spindle in this model is 72.4mm(54gr/set). The Long version of this model is 82.55mm(63gr/set). The longest version is 85.8mm(66gr/set).

I removed the pricing but have it if you want to PM.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

BMANX
Cat 1

Postby RUSirius » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:21 am

Very nice! I certainly am going to look into this. :wink:
RUSirius
Cyclotourist

Postby BMANX » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:35 pm

Alright the final weight of the pedals is 122g for the pair. I am really happy with this project and the cost was so low compared to buy NANO's.

I will not turn my attention to the cleats to see if I can tune them to get down to Nano level as well.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

BMANX
Cat 1

Postby Luc » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:42 pm

Thanks !!

just for info : http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... =3&t=80010

Excellent complement to BMANX excellent topic !
Quid pro quo...
Luc
Cat 3

Postby Soloist Assassin » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:29 am

I did all these same mods to my Speedplay Zeros. It got them down to 131g. The reason I am replying to this, is ever since I did this there was slop in my pedals, and it was hard to clip into them, even with more than normal amounts of lube. Today I removed the Aluminum inserts and unfortunately the ti hardware as well. You see, I used red loctite on the bolts, and they would not come out. The bolts stripped, and I had to drill them out. My pedals are back up to 159g, with oem inserts, and bolts, but I am okay with that. Well not really I am going to get new ti bolts again to drop a few grams. Never again on the aluminum inserts though. They caused the slop, and are junk in my eyes. Not worth the trouble. The ward spindles and ti bolts I do recommend, and I would like to get the spindle bolts in ti too.
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby pritchet74 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:44 am

Bummer. I wouldn't get the alloy butterflies regardless because it's just a much weaker material and I could imagine one breaking in a powerful sprint. Ti upgrades are good, but alloy ones are only good for non-load bearing applications. Or something like that....
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Fuchs » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:42 pm

depends on wich butterflys you buy.
not every bytterfly has the same sort off aluminium.
i would always use the one from BTP
Fuchs
Cat 2

Return to General cycling