Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Günter Mai's 3195g world record SPIN

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Postby VENTOUX » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:48 pm

I like this bike, man things are getting crazy, when will weights bottom out?
VENTOUX
Cat 2

Postby jsmst32 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:53 pm

is there an Internet site for Spin bikes? I can't find any place that even sells them
jsmst32
Cat 2

Postby De Vingard » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:06 pm

jsmst32 wrote:is there an Internet site for Spin bikes? I can't find any place that even sells them

http://www.spin-system.de/frameset.htm

...not updated frequently. The "gato" doesn't even appear at the homepage. But still you can find some contact infos.
De Vingard
Cat 2

Postby pk0r » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:25 am

jsmst32 wrote:is there an Internet site for Spin bikes? I can't find any place that even sells them

Marc Siebert ("Dr. Spin") only sells directly. He does not export to the USA though. He basically offers two different models:
- the "Intro" which costs 3680Eur as bare frame (w/o fork or headset) and the "Gato" at 5890Eur. Custom geometries as well as complete customization incl. measurement and a position analysis are available on upcharge (+1300Eur).

Günter's frame however actually is no "Gato" either, it is a custom version to determine what might be possible.
This does not mean that the "stock" frames would be heavyweights either though: the Gato weights around 750g, the Intro comes out at just short of 900g.

Fibre-Lyte wrote:Out of curiosity, and if it's not rude of me to ask, what weight of rider could the bike safely cope with (for 'normal' use)?

Most of the parts have been specifically built for a rider of Günter's weight in mind, which is 63kg given that they are custom parts (the handlebar for instance). However this also means that the companies can build the according items for riders of other weight classes as well. The wheels have been built for a rider of 150lbs/68kg. As Günter showed in his >13,000km on this bike since Eurobike, all of the parts are perfectly usable and reliable for him.
| pk0r.com | "I respect the work in coloring parts but the result is stupid-monkey in silk clothes is still monkey." |
| http://www.ax-Lightness.de |
pk0r
Cat 1

Postby pk0r » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:04 am

So to update this thread a little bit and due to the currentness with me having been over at Guenter's during the past week to be fiddling around on our bikes respectively their parts, but also and especially to be going on some mutual rides and just to spend some time, I'd like to update this thread a little bit with some impressions and a also give a little outlook on Eurobike.

First and foremost commenting on some critics and/or disbelievers (which admitedly are pretty rare in here), you would really not believe your eyes of how fit that fellow is and the way he rides. Images are probably already able to at least tell half of the story, as one can see the other one's position on the bike as well as one's body shape and especially the legs. Fact is Guenter has been doing a little over 30,000km within one year time now, almost all of these except for hardly a handful of extreme rain kilometers on his SPIN. It is not that he would be having endless time for that though, he just understands to use his time wisely: our first ride e.g. has been over 102km with a 38kph avg, the next day and with an eardrum-tearing headwind still 36kph over 105km. That guy has some serious legs & power..
Besides some photos (purely just out of fun), I have been taking some short movies with my photo camera of him to at least display a little bit of him in action - originally this has not been meant to be any serious; if I would have known that they come out nicely, I would indeed have taken some better & longer ones. Next time new try! Personally I like the 2nd one best, as he had not known that I was filming him when sucking on his rear wheel. :angel: Format being DivX, to be found here.

As for the equipment, his "weapons of choice": these may not look any different to the previous ones, however as with everything the devil is in the details, so I'd carefully watch out for Eurobike, especially the GermanCarbonGroup (Schmolke, SPIN, THM) booth [/surreptitious advertisement off]
Attachments
Guenni - 07-08 (1).jpg
Guenni - 07-08 (2).jpg
Guenni - 07-08 (3).jpg
Guenni - 07-08 (4).jpg
| pk0r.com | "I respect the work in coloring parts but the result is stupid-monkey in silk clothes is still monkey." |
pk0r
Cat 1

Postby mythical » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:47 am

Jared B wrote:
rascel wrote:We need Brent's 500g Ueberlight to attack the 3kg border. :grin:

The challenge has been set Brent!! :grin::grin::grin:

Hmmmm... Brent and I just talked on the phone a few hours ago, which isn't unusual, where it not that coincidently the topic of this bike came up. Brent and I both agreed that Günter had his record long enough! :grin:
mythical
Manufacturer

Postby pk0r » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:43 am

Rico, the point was: there is a difference between building a light bike and actually riding it or to be able to ride it at all. Other builds still have to prove that and I am not talking about 1 ride around the block. :roll: :wink:
pk0r
Cat 1

Postby j0m » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:50 am

Averaging below 40 km/h with such a light bike sounds kind of weak to me. :roll: :wink:

Seriously though, nice to hear that the bike seems so ridable. Looking forward to Eurobike.
j0m
The Big Brain

Postby dark_albert » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:53 pm

hi guys, special nils ;-)

i had a ride with guenter today. avg about 34 km/h with lot of wind coming from the front with a bit of rain. i usually do not ride in the rain with my parlee. so i took the cannondale. but guenter is going with his lightbike. he is amazing. his bike is running lik it go a engine in it. he is going around corners with speed. not like a turtel. i love riding with guenter.

about the question about intervalls of chaining chain etc.
he told me he did more then 10.000km on a record chain. he took a new one on it and it works. ok...sometimes it made some noise. but guenter told me that this is normal with a new chain on the used alloy cogs. he didn´t change the chainrings for more then 24.000km. he runns with some special light carbon pulleys i build for him for 24.000 km too without problems.

hope i didn´t give too much secrets out ;-)

dark_albert
dark_albert
Cat 4

Postby mythical » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:12 pm

pk0r wrote:Rico, the point was: there is a difference between building a light bike and actually riding it or to be able to ride it at all.

Brother Nils, you know damn well that, if I were to build a sub-3kg bike, it's with the intention to ride it (hard too!)... ;)

I can't stand it when a product doesn't perform up to my standards. If it sucks, I toss it. Günni's bike is freakish light, then again, he's a bit of a freak himself. I think he should still prove that bike race worthy, but you and I both know that'll never happen... :roll:

In due time, I'd like try if it's possible to have a 2900-something grams 2x10- spd bike with STI shifting that would stand up to racing it in an event. :o
mythical
Manufacturer

Re: Günter Mai's 3195g world record SPIN

Postby Gumgardner » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:24 pm

His legs need more definition. Lol cmon Gunther! ;)
Gumgardner
Cat 2

Previous

Return to General cycling