Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Enve 45 Vs Reynolds 46 Clincher rims

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Enve 45 Vs Reynolds 46 Clincher rims

Postby Mat » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:03 am

Hi guys,

Just noticing that FW now have the Reynolds rims which seem pretty close on weight and sizing, does anyone know how they compare with the Enve etc? does that new lip thing make a difference or is it just a marketing thing?

I have some Reynolds DV46c's and also some Edge 68t's so have a little bit of experience with both brands, but am looking for a clincher set for a new bike build and can't really decide on specs alone...

Cheers,

M.
Mat
Cat 2

Re: Enve 45 Vs Reynolds 46 Clincher rims

Postby madcow » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:01 pm

They are actually very close to each other. Same price, weights are similar with Enve being 10-15 grams lighter per rim. I doubt the swirl lip generator makes much difference, but probably some difference. I think the Reynolds have a little advantage in the braking with the clinchers. Basically I'd go for whichever one you think looks better, or whichever company you think will offer better support in Oz.
madcow
Dork Overlord

Postby pritchet74 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:55 pm

The Edge ones are slightly more aero.

Swirl lip generator thingy is marketing as far as I am concerned.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby carbon2329 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:36 pm

madcow,

Any real benifit in the moulded spoke holes with ENVE?

Would you put the same spoke tension on both, and not worry? (ie. 110ish)
carbon2329
Cat 4

Postby Mat » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:44 am

Thanks for the responses guys, have a set of Enve 45's on order! slightly lighter and slightly more aero was the winning combination as I would rather spend more time going faster than braking...

Cheers,

M.
Mat
Cat 2

Postby dadoflam » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:49 pm

Don't think you can go wrong Matt - the Edge 45's I have are great. I must beg to differ a little from Madcow on the braking - I have found that the Edge 45's stop better than any other carbon wheel I've tried - especially in the wet. (then again Madcow and I come at braking from opposite ends of the rider weight perspective which we have previously concluded may affect the relative performance of different products)
dadoflam
Cat 3

Postby dkrenik » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:52 am

pritchet74 wrote:Swirl lip generator thingy is marketing as far as I am concerned.

The way that typically works in some industries is that Engineering comes up with something of questionable value that they've no idea whether or not anyone actually wants but they think is really "cool". They then hand it off to Marketing to make it look good (read: put lipstick on the pig) and ready to sell.

Dave
dkrenik
Cat 4

Return to General cycling