Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Vibrating rear brake

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Vibrating rear brake

Postby Ypsylon » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:27 am

A friend of mine has some trouble with her bike starting to vibrate when she uses the rear brake. It's a carbon fibre full-suspension bike and she's tried different wheels with different rotors and two different brakes and the problem has gotten less and more, but it has never gone away completely.

She's made sure all the bolts are tight and the bearings between the main frame are installed correctly, she claims.

Ideas?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Re: Vibrating rear brake

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:15 am

Has she tried different brake pads? Calipers nicely lined up with the rotors (i.e. not bent from a crash)?

Does the whole bike vibrate or just a specific area?
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby Ypsylon » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:16 am

She's used at least two different calipers, so I'd guess they had different pads. I think she tried six different caliper/rotor combos all with different amounts of vibrating, but the problem was always there.

She especially complained about the handlebar, so that she could barely hold on, while using the rear brake.

I think the whole thing vibrates, but she doesn't mind the other contact points as much. :roll:
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby Boonen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:06 am

Ypsylon wrote:She's made sure all the bolts are tight and the bearings between the main frame are installed correctly, she claims.

Ideas?

I'd check that anyway as it's clearly not the brakes themselves if she tried that many combo's already. Maybe it's a worn bearing?
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:30 am

The handlebar being the most prevelant throws me a bit. Even if the rear were vibrating, on a full susser I'd imagine the pivot points would take some of that away. I'm starting to think it's front fork related. I'd definitely still check all the pivot points and the rear shock still. The only other thing I can think of (barring frame damage) is a loose rear wheel.
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby Ypsylon » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:12 am

She's tried about half a dozen different rear wheels now, switched pads again, and it was better until the pads were broken in, but once they developed their ususal bite, it was back to usual.

I'm not sure if the handlebar is the most prevelant or just the most annoying part.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Return to General cycling