Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Osymetric Chainrings

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Osymetric Chainrings

Postby xbikeracer » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:11 pm

I have noticed in a few pictures that the Team Sky riders are riding the Osymetric Chain Rings, has anyone had any experince with these. I remember that Millar rode them as well as Bobby Julich. How are they different than the Rotors?
xbikeracer
Cyclotourist

Re: Osymetric Chainrings

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:26 am

I know that Bradley Wiggins has been using them for what seems like an awfully long time, but other than that I don't know who else is. I certainly don't see many of them around, possibly because they're quite pricey (more than our carbon chainrings). The shape is completely different to Rotors. If you go on their website they'll explain why they are such an odd shape.
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby xbikeracer » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:48 am

I am from the US. How much are carbon chainrings? How about making some Osymetric rings out of carbon fiber? Does carbon make them stiffer?
xbikeracer
Cyclotourist

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:21 pm

Fairwheel bikes (your host) has them in their online store so you can see the prices there. I think the Osymmetric design will be patented or something similar so it's not likely we'd be doing any unless they asked.
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby pritchet74 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:15 pm

The whole premise behind the o-chainrings is based on a study with the Festina team during the late 90's where they did testing that showed an increased power output with the o-chainrings. The problem is that these non-round chainrings don't produce accurate results with the SRM because the force applied isn't perpendicular to the strain gauges. This has been proven when riding with a SRM and a PowerTap at the same time.

I wouldn't waste the money.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby xbikeracer » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:16 pm

Would you buy a $60carbon fiber waterbottle cage and $2500 wheels? Seems like 300 bucks for 10% gain in power is cheap?
xbikeracer
Cyclotourist

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:18 pm

I'm not convinced by the 10 percent power gain. If that were true, wouldn't everybody be riding them?
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby Ypsylon » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:06 pm

It also depends on how strong you are to begin with. I ride around at 100W, so 10% wouldn't really be that much, even if they existed. Could I push 400W it'd suddenly be way more interesting.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby pritchet74 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:13 am

The 10% power gain doesn't exist. A 1% power gain doesn't exist either - not by using these rings. As mentioned above, they are marketed off of faulty research.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby mdeth1313 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:13 am

pritchet74 wrote: they are marketed off of faulty research.

hmm, sounds like the tea-party was their marketing firm. (sorry, couldn't resist)
Words are like bullets, I let them pass through me.
mdeth1313
Cat 1

Postby Boonen » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:21 am

I wonder who translated their website then ... :shock:

Surely there must be something to the idea of a variable gear ratio though? Having a larger gear at the point in your stroke where you're the strongest and a smaller gear ratio in the weaker point. In theory that sounds pretty good to me, weather or not O-Symmetric transferred that into practice in the right way I wouldn't know.
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby Pat2A » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:51 pm

Pat2A
Cat 5

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:56 am

If I wanted to get into a topical debate about the validity of non circular chainrings, my own opinion would be that they don't provide a power increase, but I do think they improve efficiency. So if you're doing long distance rides, such as a 12 hour time trial or a triathlon, I think they'll help your legs out (i.e. less lactate build up etc.) . I don't have any evidence to support that however. I do think a lot depends on your pedalling style as well.
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby xbikeracer » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:24 pm

xbikeracer
Cyclotourist

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:05 pm

Not a bad review but the comment about why they don't do a 53-39 made me smile. How can a 54 with the same profile be efficient but a 53 not? The set up review seems quite honest. One day I might give them a go but they're not cheap!
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Next

Return to General cycling