Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Twisted chain drives

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Twisted chain drives

Postby dunlinii » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:22 am

Hey, does anyone know anything about these? Tips to make them work well, that sort of thing. Thanks.
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Re: Twisted chain drives

Postby Boonen » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:59 pm

You thinking about adding a propeller to your bike? :wink:
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby Ypsylon » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:01 pm

I thought he was thinking about adding a bike to a boat.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby dunlinii » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:03 pm

Yup, building a pedalo for like community work that I have to do as part of my job. Its really good fun getting kids enthusiastic, but I actually designing the thing is HARD.
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby Boonen » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:29 pm

For some reason I read you needed one of those for commuting :lol:

I don't think those tend to have a twisted chain drive but have a simple water wheel drive. Not sure how high-tech you need to make these? Could be fun to go all out though, since this is during work time and all :D
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby dunlinii » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:02 pm

Well yeah, the thing has to be pedal and chain driven, and the only ways that we have though of to transfer the drive through the 90ish degrees thats needed to drive a propeller are bevel gears, worm gears, this twisted chain thing and universal joints. Any other ideas anybody?
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby Ypsylon » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:07 pm

Sitting at 90° to where you go?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby dunlinii » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:10 pm

I think the best way of thinking about it is that the propellar has to rotate at 90 degrees to the direction of rotation as the pedals
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby Boonen » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:19 pm

dunlinii wrote:Any other ideas anybody?

Do it like these and you won't need to rotate the forces. Unless for some reason you have to use a boat propeller?

Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby FAQinc » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:25 pm

I would say a more simple solution would be to strap 2 rowing boats together put a bike frame in the middle(or reccumbent style thing) then connect it through a chain to a padle style boat thing with a fender to protect you from splashing.

Simmilar to this http://www.glen-l.com/designs/special/pedalit.html but maybe lighter and more streamlined maybe some gears?
Flatulence for men the musk that lingers.
FAQinc
Cat 2

Postby dunlinii » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:10 pm

Well thats what we wanted to do cause it would be sooooo much more easy. But the school that our team got given did that last year, and it broke, so they want to do a propeller, because they can't see that the actual structure was rubbish, not the idea.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby FAQinc » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:49 pm

Just place the bike sideways and weld the propeller shaft to the chainset and done or go to the school and be all like listen fellas I build aeroplane engines I know what I'm doing here :D
Flatulence for men the musk that lingers.
FAQinc
Cat 2

Postby dunlinii » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:57 pm

I like your first idea, the other problem of course is there a couple of really cocky guys that have just got out of uni and they now f**k all but are full of themselves...
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby bobsaget » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:46 pm

You could use the mechanism from a 2 wheel drive mtb, I'm almost certain it is exactly the same idea as a weed wacker drive, with a flexible steel shaft going through a long tube. Here is a link to the website, I don't see why you couldn't use that system to change the drive forces 90*. http://www.bjbco.com/
bobsaget
Cyclotourist

Return to General cycling