Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Tuning my Ridley Damocles

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Tuning my Ridley Damocles

Postby Damo_Rider » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:22 pm

Well here is the first update on the tuning process.

1. Quick things to remember I am not mechanically inclined so this is basically rocket science to me :grin:
2. Remember a dremel is still a drill so safety is important or you will learn the hard way like I did and drill your thumb :oops:
3. I just started this project yesterday because we have bad weather here in Dallas - this is about 3-4 hours of work (I have two kids and a wife that won't let me work for more than 30 minute at a time)

Tuned Record Rear Derailleur
Steps
1. Cover metal pieces you wish to drill in 2 plies of electrical tape which will help prevent the drill bit from slipping; I learned the hard way one sometimes doesn't work
2. Mark the tape where you wish to drill or else you will get holes all over the place; this is more of an appearance thing
3. I used an 1/8" titanium nitrade coated bit which worked well
4. Start slow and increase the speed to get through the metal
5. Remember to "peck" the drill up and down a couple of times to clean-up the holes.

I still have one large hole on the arm left to drill and I am thinking of painting the metal black - any opinions? If so what kind of prep would I need on the metal and paint? Can I use paint for model airplanes?
Attachments
DSC01321.JPG
DSC01322.JPG
DSC01323.JPG
DSC01324.JPG
DSC01325.JPG
Damo_Rider
Cat 4

Re: Tuning my Ridley Damocles

Postby Damo_Rider » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:26 pm

2nd Update-

This is the other item I have been working on which is much harder than I expected. I have started to sand the entire frame. I have spent about 3-4 hours so far and this is as far as I have gotten. I have been using 120 grit sand paper and found out that no water (as opposed to what people called wet sanding) works faster. You just have to be careful to stop when you start seeing black dust (which is the carbon) and use a wet/damp cloth to wipe the part every so often to check progress. I figure at this rate it will take all of February to complete. :(
Attachments
DSC01326.JPG
DSC01327.JPG
Damo_Rider
Cat 4

Return to General cycling