Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

HOME MADE BIKE STAND

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

HOME MADE BIKE STAND

Postby Mike K. » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:52 am

Since repeated snow storms have prevented me from leaving the house as of late, I have had the time to do a creative project. Hope you like it:

bstanraw1.JPG

bstandtopf.JPG

BSTANDDONEF.JPG

BSTANDDONES.JPG
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Mike K.
Cat 1

Re: HOME MADE BIKE STAND

Postby pritchet74 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:32 pm

Holy crap Mike. That's gorgeous!

I want one! :mrgreen:

Tell us about how you did it. What type of wood? Where'd you get it? Howd you cut the groove for the wheel?
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Boonen » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:41 pm

Really like how they hang from the ceiling, nice job Mike! :top:
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby Mike K. » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:35 pm

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the positive feedback!!! That slab of wood is one section of the trunk of a huge Ash tree that died in my backyard about 11 yrs ago. I cut the tree down with the intention of bringing the wood to a sawmill and having it cut into boards. The slab weighs 150 lbs and is quartersawn http://www.google.com/search?client=saf ... 8&oe=UTF-8
Finally decided to put it to use as is! (Part of a resolution to pull together everything bicycle into one room.) I clamped a fence onto the wood- a piece of a 2x4- and used a plunge router with a bowl bit to cut the slots.
Here are a couple of pics that show dimensions:
bstanraw2.JPG

bstanraw3.JPG
(left front)
bstanraw4.JPG
(right front)
Mike K.
Cat 1

Postby dunlinii » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:17 pm

Thats amazing. Looks very trendy and cool, plus goes great with your walls :grin:
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby Mike K. » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:27 pm

Thank you pritchet, Boonen, and Dunlinii for recognizing my work! Walls were my doing as well. Plywood panels were selected to show the sequence of the "rotary cutting" of the veneer from tree. Dark portions are tree trunk. (By the way my wife thinks the bike stand is weird! :angryOnFire: )
Mike K.
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:21 pm

My wife would have said something very similar. It is definitely awesome though!
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby dunlinii » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:12 pm

How to feel about been compared to Pritch's wife...:P
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby Mike K. » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:17 am

If I showed her this thread I'd be in hot water. (I'm tempted to do it! :twisted: )
Mike K.
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:14 pm

Nah, I was comparing my wife to your wife. And if my wife really took the time to peruse this forum I would be in more than hot water. I would be sleeping on the back porch!
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Return to General cycling