Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

2008 Cervelo SLC

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

2008 Cervelo SLC

Postby Soloist Assassin » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:28 am

I finally got my race bike about where I want it. I've been a member for awhile, but I didn't feel it was worthy to post until now. Still a few more things I'd like to add to her. I almost have my bike the way I want it. It sits at 13.7lbs as shown. I still want to upgrade to KCNC C7 brakes, and a Red Cassette for these wheels. That should get me at a solid 13.25lbs for race trim. I think some RD tuning, BTP shifter clamps, and change of tires for a lighter set should get me down under 13lbs. I'd like to thank all the other members of this forum for posting all this excellent info that has helped me get this build where it is.

Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Re: 2008 Cervelo SLC

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:33 am

Very nice! (and very clean :wink: )

That saddle seems very high, I take it you're a big guy (or have a small frame?)
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby Soloist Assassin » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:44 am

I am 5'10", or 178cm. I have a small torso, and long legs though. I just measured my saddle to bar drop. I am at 5.5" or 14cm. BTW, I have a sneaking suspicion some Fibre-Lyte products will have to be employed to get me down in the 12's.
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby Soloist Assassin » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:45 am

The frame is a 54cm btw.
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby FAQinc » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:08 am

14cm is very pro maybe overly pro, I used to ride with a 14cm drop before but after going up to 12cm I have not looked back and my lower back and lungs are thanking me for it :)

I'm in the same boat ie. long legs short torso, give it a try if you can first 10km you'll feel like you're riding a Pashley but the aero sacrifice is well worth it.

Otherwise a very clean build indeed, is that a TA Specialties chainring? Have you noticed a smoother stroke with the Chris King BB cups over the RED ones?
Flatulence for men the musk that lingers.
FAQinc
Cat 2

Postby Soloist Assassin » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:56 am

I can get really aero with current setup. I really like this current setup, been riding this same geometry on all my bikes for the past 4years since I started riding road. Never had any back problems, and I breath just fine on it. The chainrings are stock Red 39t, and KCNC 53t. I have a KCNC crankset too, but I went with Red so I could use the Chris King BB. It is super smooth, and has no flex with this setup. The Red 53t was really heavy, like 113g or so. The KCNC was like 83g irc. That's why I changed it up. I would like to try the Fibre-Lyte chainrings one of these days. I could get drop quite a few grams with those I think.
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby dunlinii » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:09 pm

Great looking bike. Just out of curiosity, how do you find the shifting with the KCNC ring and red crank combo?
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby pritchet74 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:04 pm

Its all about the aero.

Nice build! I wish I could get my bike that light, but the heavy SRM and Hooker brakes make it impossible.

Congrats on a sexy light build!
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby Ypsylon » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:07 pm

Great looking machine.

The weight is very respectable as well. I'm a bit jealous.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:39 pm

I'm not sure I could manage a drop like that now I'm an old man! :D My back hurts just thinking about it.

You could probably drop another 40-ish grams with our chainrings over your current set up I would have thought. I think they'd look quite cool on that bike as well, but I would, wouldn't I ! :wink:
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Postby Soloist Assassin » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:52 am

thanks pritchet, and Ypsylon.

dunlinii wrote:Great looking bike. Just out of curiosity, how do you find the shifting with the KCNC ring and red crank combo?

It shifts just great. I have had several KCNC cranksets, and chainrings, and they all shift good. On the Red crank, they seem even better. I notice maybe even a bit less flex out of this crankset.

Fibre-Lyte wrote:I'm not sure I could manage a drop like that now I'm an old man! :D My back hurts just thinking about it.

You could probably drop another 40-ish grams with our chainrings over your current set up I would have thought. I think they'd look quite cool on that bike as well, but I would, wouldn't I ! :wink:

Yeah I am not only considering your chainrings, but also your 2g backplate, and jockey wheels. I am somewhat concerned about the longevity of the carbon chain wheels, and jockey wheels, but I hear they last a good while. I have to agree as well. I think all of your products would be splendid additions to my bicycle.
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby pritchet74 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:04 am

I used my Fibre-Lyte chainring all of last year with no problems. I tossed the alloy big ring in October since I was just hoping to do a bunch of easy riding, but I haven't ridden much lately. The carbon ring is going back on next week.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?
pritchet74
Aerodymatic Man

Postby stumpytrunks » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:56 am

Very nice bike. I used to run my hoods 'around the corner' quite a lot, like you do. It might pay to videotape yourself from the side as I found that I was rolling my hips quite a lot with the bars set up that way. Very nice ride though. How do you find the zipp tubs to ride?
Pain hurts
stumpytrunks
The Tassie Devil

Postby Soloist Assassin » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:22 pm

stumpytrunks wrote:Very nice bike. I used to run my hoods 'around the corner' quite a lot, like you do. It might pay to videotape yourself from the side as I found that I was rolling my hips quite a lot with the bars set up that way. Very nice ride though. How do you find the zipp tubs to ride?

Thanks glad you like it. Idk what "rolling hips" means, but I've been running my bikes with setup for the better part of four years, and I love it. I've yet to ride the Zipps. I just got them a few weeks ago, and it's in the depth of winter here. Hopefully I will be able to take it out in the next month.
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Postby Soloist Assassin » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:15 pm

New addition.
installed....
Soloist Assassin
Cat 2

Next

Return to General cycling