Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

Stronglight CT2 recommended chainring combos

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

Stronglight CT2 recommended chainring combos

Postby abb7 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:00 pm

Hi all,

I have the following setup:
2010 SRAM Force FD, RD, PG-1070 chain.
Easton EC-90 130 BCD crank, GXP, with 53-39 Stronglight CT2 chainrings that came stock on the cranks.

I need to replace the worn chainrings. I love the CT2s - the shift performance is good and the teflon coating is amazing for keeping them gunk-free.
I am considering a move to compact though. Multiple reasons not specifically relevant here.

Relevant issues:

- Stronglight CT2 comes down to a 38 that I would be happy to put on the inside in a combo of say, 38-52 and be happy. I don't need to go all the way down to 34. Just one less tooth would make me happy, and retaining some top end on the outside ring would be good.

- "STRONGLIGHT strongly advises (for best results in shifting) the use of these chain rings in the following available sets:
51/39-52/39-52/42-53/39 : Shimano® and Campagnolo® compatible
48/34-50/36-50/34 : compact concept 110 mm compatible " from xxcycle, Stronglight's recommended French online supplier.

- Some negative issues have been turning up re: the EC-90 crank online, but I have yet to have a single issue with my crank in 3/4 year of HARD riding and racing. I am not particularly concerned. I can deal with a problem if it crops up. But the problem is significant when it does occur - spindle comes loose from crank arm - serious failure.

SO, I am just wondering what you all have seen, in respect to the Stronglight shift performance with mixing and matching sizing. If it truly is essential to stick with the recommended combos. In general I would do so. For example with Shimano, I would always stick with an A-pattern or B-pattern. But I don't have experience with Stronglights. Maybe lots of people mix and match. Would love to hear opinions on this setup.

My alternative is to pick up a SRAM S900 compact crank. It wouldn't break the bank.

Thanks for your input.
abb7
Cyclotourist

Re: Stronglight CT2 recommended chainring combos

Postby Ypsylon » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:41 pm

:think: They make a 38t chainring, but non of their recommended combos has it? :ponder:
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby Oilman » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:03 pm

I wouldn't worry about these combo's. The rings are not specially made to work with one specific ring, a 39 is just a 39. When you'd choose an extreme combination, shifting performance will be worse.
Oilman
Cat 3

Postby Fibre-Lyte » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:35 am

If you drop to a 38 on a 130bcd carbon crankset be careful to check it's ok to run with them. The spider feet on some carbon cranksets can catch the chain on a 38t. I'm fairly sure that THM and Storck recommend not using a 38t but don't know about the others
Fibre-Lyte
Manufacturer

Return to General cycling