Site Announcements

OUR NEW FORUM/BLOG IS NOW ONLINE IN BETA VERSION, WITH A SCHEDULED PUBLIC RELEASE NEXT WEEK. ANYONE WITH A USER ID FROM THE CURRENT FORUM HAS ALREADY HAD THEIR USERNAME IMPORTED TO THE NEW FORUM THOUGH PASSWORDS WERE NOT IMPORTED SO YOU'LL NEED TO USE PASSWORD RECOVERY TO GET A NEW PASSWORD. WHILE THE NEW FORUM IS NOT YET COMPLETE WITH ALL OF IT'S FEATURES IT IS FUNCTIONAL AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE.

fairwheelbikes.com/c/topics

sram tuning

Discussion on bikes, and whatever...

sram tuning

Postby ninjanoir78 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:40 pm

Hi, I know there are so many post on that but I dont know if someone could give in details, the stuff we need to do a complete tuning on sram red derailleur.. even torontocycles is not sure about that.

it'S about the bolts on rear and front derailleur.. the length and kind of bolts..

thanks
Jimmy Rancourt
ninjanoir78
Cat 5

Re: sram tuning

Postby Ypsylon » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:12 pm

"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.
Ypsylon
Herr Pfennig

Postby ninjanoir78 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:00 pm

thanks but for the rear I'd like to have the exact Specifications about bolts, cause kaiser kit is pretty expensive!!
Jimmy Rancourt
ninjanoir78
Cat 5

Postby ninjanoir78 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:59 pm

do you think I can use that on my sram red derailleur??

http://www.racebolts.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=392

thanks
Jimmy Rancourt
ninjanoir78
Cat 5

Postby larry_ck » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:42 pm

Sorry the Sram one, when I took mine apart to open up the diameters of the counter bores up and save a little weight, was a different design to the upper pivot bolt you've posted as a link. I do not believe it will work on Sram Red.

Anyway, on the rear the following sizes are what you are looking for (as always, someone please correct me if I am wrong) :

The Sram Hi Lo screws are already Aluminium - M4 x 14
The Sram tension screw is already Aluminium - M4 x 20
Sram cable clamp bolts are Ti (this could be swapped for Al.) - M5 x 8
Sram top pulleywheel bolt is supposed to be Ti (do not know for sure) - M4 x 19 Countersunk
Sram lower pulleywheel bolt is Aluminium - M5 x 16 Countersunk
Last edited by larry_ck on Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
larry_ck
Cat 4

Postby Boonen » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:07 pm

Jimmy, I got your pm, looks like you got what you're looking for here already :wink:

You can't use the pivot bolt. The Sram one is already aluminium though so you won't save any weight from replacing it.
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby Colin » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:14 am

larry_ck wrote:The Sram Hi Lo screws are already Aluminium - M4 x 14
The Sram tension screw is already Aluminium - M4 x 20
Sram cable clamp bolts are Ti (this could be swapped for Al.) - M5 x 8
Sram top pulleywheel bolt is supposed to be Ti (do not know for sure) - M4 x 19 Countersunk
Sram lower pulleywheel bolt is Aluminium - M5 x 16 Countersunk

Anyone know if these are the same for the Sram XO derailleurs (9sp.)?
Colin
Cyclotourist

Postby biky » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:31 am

I got myself a set of black nylon screws (that´s light)
biky
Cat 4

Postby v_class » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:06 pm

Does anyone know what size the circlip is on the sram red rear mech cable tension adjuster. Mine keeps breaking and it seems daft to buy a whole new mech or a kaiser kit when all I need is a circlip. anyone got the exact name/size of this part?
On a tuning note I tuned my mechs with bolts from tastynuts in the uk, some good single ali and ti options in small sizes.
v_class
Cyclotourist

Postby dunlinii » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:43 pm

I think its 5/16 external, but I can't quite remember.
Being a Pirate should be considered a Manly job because pirates get two types of booty.
dunlinii
Cat 1

Postby Boonen » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:04 pm

I don't think you really need the circlip for the barrel adjuster once the derailleur cable is installed. It's just there to prevent the adjuster from falling out before you mount it and when you change cables. Do they break for you from riding or when you take the derailleur apart? Dunlinii's guess for the size sounds about right, can't verify that for you though.

I've gotten several bolts from tastynuts myself, their mounting bolts aren't bad (only for campy and shimano) but for the rest of the bolts I found Jaeger in Germany supplying fasteners that are hard to beat in quality and consistency.
Boonen
Faster than Superman

Postby ninjanoir78 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:38 am

hi, someone knows where can I buy a red or black a SRAM Rear Derailleur Pivot Bolt???

thanks
Jimmy Rancourt
ninjanoir78
Cat 5

Return to General cycling